Elevated cortisol levels prolonged by chronic stress require the adrenal glands, whic

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Elevated cortisol levels prolonged by chronic stress require the adrenal glands, which produce hormones related to hair growth, to focus on generating cortisol.

I want to say that elevated cortisol levels require the adrenal glands to generate more cortisol. Is the sentence above okay?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not for me, no. require isn't the right verb.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, you seem to have it all mixed up. Stress causes the adrenal glands to produce the hormones adrenaline and cortisol.

What you're saying is "Elevated cortisol requires the adrenals to produce cortisol to focus on generating cortisol" plus something about hair growth, which is irrelevant if the focus is on generating cortisol.

It's tautological to say that "Elevated cortisol levels requires the production of more cortisol". In one sense, if you have elevated cortisol levels, you don't need the adrenals to produce any extra to have elevated cortisol levels, since you already have it.
Elevated cortisol levels are produced by the adrenals over-generating cortisol. If that's what you're saying, you should leave the bit about hair growth out, or explain why it's there. Do you get what I'm saying?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with jutfrank. The statement as you have written it is illogical. The adrenal hyperactivity causes elevated cortisol but is not caused by it.

Cross-posted with Raymott.

Status
Not open for further replies.