Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Can I say:

It taught me that all employees are equal, and this is obvious in greeting all without a title" from office boy till CEO.

It taught me that all employees are equal, regardless titles CEO is equal to office boy in terms of employment"

It taught me that simplicity in its best form by greeting all employees, regardless titles CEO is equal to office boy in terms of employment"

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It taught me that all employees are equal, regardless of titles, and the CEO is equal to the office boy in terms of employment.

I am not sure what you mean by "equal" there.

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I am not sure what you mean by "equal" there.

I mean by equal that CEO and office both are employees for the company so we can't put titles (Mr./Ms.) For any of them. Hope now you got the idea.

Appreciate your support in editing my 3 suggestions in post #1

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I mean by equal that CEO and office both are employees of the company so we can't put titles (Mr./Ms.) For any of them. Hope now you got the idea.

Appreciate your support in editing my 3 suggestions in post #1

I guess you could say we can't give them titles or we shouldn't call them by those titles. (Of course, they already have those titles.)
:-?

Economist2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I guess you could say we can't give them titles or we shouldn't call them by those titles. (Of course, they already have those titles.)
:-?

I suggest the following:

It has taught me that all employees are equal regardless of their job titles, from CEO to the office boy, and that I should address any of them with his/her name, without titles (i.e. without Mr/Ms).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest the following:

It has taught me that all employees are equal regardless of their job titles, from CEO to the office boy, and that I should address any of them by his/her name, without titles (i.e. without Mr/Ms).

I suppose it depends on the culture of the company. And the country.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Are you talking about first name or family name?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I say:

It taught me that all employees are equal, and this is expressed in greeting all by their first names, from office worker to CEO.

In many or most English-speaking workplaces, it's rude to call a worker a boy or girl.

Now you know!

It taught me that all employees are equal. Regardless of titles, a CEO is equal to an office assistant in terms of human value.

It taught me that it is best to greet all employees simply, disregarding titles. A CEO is equal to an assistant in terms of human worth.
1. It's often better to use two short sentences than one long one.

2. When you say "in terms of employment," it means that a CEO's job is the same as a low-level employees. I don't think that's what you want to say, so I changed it.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you use the first name: Charlie.
If you use the family name: Mr Bernstein.
Don't call him Bernstein or Mr Charlie.

Also, don't think that people on phonelines sound 100% friendly if they call older strangers by their first name- many think it is over-familiar. My Mother, nearly ninety, hates it.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am pretty sure that equal is not the right word. For example, Charlie and I are not equal. (He is smarter than I am. ;-) ) You could say that everybody wants to be treated with respect, and that's the way they should be treated. I wouldn't go around calling people I am barely acquainted with by their first names. (Some will not object, but others might.)

A good habit to get into is saying "What do want me to call you?" Then they will tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.