Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Nothing Matters: a book about nothing" by Ronald Green (2011) This is an excerpt from the book.

Considering its history, you'd have thought that by now problems with nothing were a thing of the past, sorted out well before the end of the seventeenth century, and that thereafter nothing was nothing to talk about and certainly nothing to worry about. Apparently not. Far from it, in fact. Not only does nothing remain a mystery, but (and possibly because of it)―nothing also keeps on making an appearance in virtually every walk of life, even when we don't notice.

I have a question about the underlined part: every walk of life. I think it usually means “the position in society someone has, especially the type of job they have.” However, this definition doesn’t sit well with me when I read it. How am supposed to interpret it?

Merriam-Webster defines it thus:

Merriam-Webster defines it thus:

Yes. I checked all the dictionaries available online, and they all say almost the same thing. However, the definition doesn’t make sense to me in this particular writing. Usually, I have no problem understanding the expression itself. I thought that the writer wanted to say, “in almost every activity we humans engage in” or something in similar lines.” I wonder whether my interpretation is close to his or her interpretation.

It apparently means 'in all areas of life'.

That's right. I think the writer has misused the phrase.
I see. That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the correction. I did misuse the phrase.

If, as it says in post #1, the piece was written by Ronald Green, he misused the phrase, not you!
It’s so kind of you to say so, but I misused the phrase “along the similar lines.” :) I made the mistake of using “in” instead of “for.” Sorry for the confusion.

@teacherjapan I think you're talking about post #4, and I suggest: or something similar.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back