Everyone has to register their name and address to be able to vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
forum.JPG
It is taken from a native grammar book, why did not he say names and addresses?
Can we use must here?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
View attachment 3810
It is taken from a native grammar book, why did not he say names and addresses?
Can we use must here?
Good question. You'll get several opinions on this:

- Some people treat everyone as a plural noun, even though it's a compound word made of every and one. (That seems to be your opinion.)

- Some say that everyone is singular, so it should say his or her, not their. (That's how I usually treat it.)

- Others say that their can sometimes be be singular or plural. (I occasionally agree. It's a conversational shortcut.)

- Still others say that their can always be singular or plural. (I disagree.)​

But I think we'll all agree that when you say everyone, most people have one name and one primary address, so name and address should be singular.

And yes, you can say "Everyone must . . . ."

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Good question. You'll get several opinions on this:

- Some people treat everyone as a plural noun, even though it's a compound word made of every and one. (That seems to be your opinion.)
I think it is singular because it ends with one.

- Some say that everyone is singular, so it should say his or her, not their. (That's how I usually treat it.)
I agree. I prefer using his and her instead of their.

- Others say that their can sometimes be be singular or plural. (I occasionally agree. It's a conversational shortcut.)
I think their should be followed by plural nouns in such a context.

- Still others say that their can always be singular or plural. (I disagree.)

But I think we'll all agree that when you say everyone, most people have one name and one primary address, so name and address should be singular.
Right.
And yes, you can say "Everyone must . . . ."
So we put name and address because of everyone.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't use put there.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So we put name and address because of everyone.

I don't think that's really the reason. The reason for using singular nouns is that the speaker wants to make it clear that each person has only one name and only one address. In other words, the form is determined by the meaning, not any by particular grammar rule.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
View attachment 3810

[STRIKE]It[/STRIKE] The screenshot above is taken from a [STRIKE]native[/STRIKE] grammar book written by a native speaker. Why did [STRIKE]not[/STRIKE] he not say names and addresses?

Please note my changes above.

- Once you have already mentioned the screenshot, you can refer to it as "it" (as I just did!)
- There is no such thing as a "native grammar book". There are books written by native speakers and books written by non-native speakers. (As you have already been told, you must give us the title and author(s) of any quote you use.
- Separate sentences with a full stop (period in AmE), not a comma. Google "comma splice".
- You can say "Why did he not ..." or "Why didn't he ...", but not "Why did not he ...". Even though "didn't he" looks like a contraction of "did not he", it's actually a contraction of "did he not".

Status
Not open for further replies.