' Everyone hoped to have learned and know everything by the following Monday'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrianna95

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Hello, everybody.
I have been doing some exercise with the Perfect Infinitive and I have a big problem with understanding this sentence:' Everyone hoped to have learned and know everything by the following Monday'
I don't know if this sentence refers to the past or to the future? Does it also mean that they are not going to achieve that goal ( to have learned and know everything) or do they still have a chance?
Does ' have learned' mean that they have failed?

Thank you

Flamenco1

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
The first issue for me is that "the following Monday" could be in the past or future.
The second issue is "to have learned and know" mixes tenses.

I'm not sure what was intended but I'll offer:
'Everyone had hoped to have learned and known everything by the following Monday. Sadly that day had come and gone.'

I'm sure a few others will comment.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me the sentence is rather redundant. We are not born with knowledge. Therefore everything we now know we must have learnt in the past. The only sense the sentence makes is that we still know what we have learnt unless we have forgotten.

In some varieties (for example, Indian English) people use learn as a synonym for study, but I don't think any British or American speakers would do so.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Everyone hoped to have learned and know everything by the following Monday.

This sentence is awful. Where did you see it?

I don't know if this sentence refers to the past or to the future?

The past tense of the verb hoped shows that the sentence is set in the past.

Does it also mean that they are not going to achieve that goal ( to have learned and know everything) or do they still have a chance?

No. Yes, they have a chance.

Does ' have learned' mean that they have failed?

No. The sentence means this:

At one time in the past (let's call this Wednesday, for the sake of explanation): The people in question do not know everything. They hope that before the following Monday arrives, this will no longer be the case. In other words, the act of learning everything will hopefully take place between the time of hoping (Wednesday) and the following Monday.

The perfect aspect is retrospective. That means that when Monday comes, they can look back at the time from Wednesday to Monday to see the time frame in which they learnt everything.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I doubt that they succeeded.

Adrianna95

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for all the answers.
This sentence comes from my English grammar book.
My book says that the perfect infinitive is used to talk about situations that did not happen.
For example: 'She expected him to have waited for her at the airport' Which means that he didn't wait for her. Is it right?
That's why I was confused if people in my previous sentence still have a chance to learn and know everything by the following Monday.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We use "following" (with days) when direct speech would use "next" when that day has already passed.

The last time I saw my friend Becky, she said "Do you want to go for lunch next Monday?"
The last time I saw my friend Becky, she asked me if I wanted to go to lunch the following Monday.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For example: 'She expected him to have waited for her at the airport' Which means that he didn't wait for her. Is it right?
He may have waited for her for a time, but he wasn't waiting for her when she cleared customs.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

She expected him to be waiting for her.

Apparently, he wasn't there. Otherwise, she would have said something different.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Getting back to the first question. The students hope to learn everything they need to know in the given time frame, but we don't know if they succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.