Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi there!

I'd appreciate some help with the following sentence:

"There are times in everyone's lives when we are confronted with immense stress and difficulties."

I was wondering: 1) if it sounds natural enough and is grammatically correct to use the plural "lives" instead of "life" to suggest a greater degree of inclusiveness, and 2) if "we" is a grammatically correct pronoun to use as a subject of the subordinate clause given the reference back to "everyone's lives".

Many thanks!

Hi there!
Hello, and welcome to the forum. :)

I'd appreciate some help with the following sentence:
"There are times in everyone's lives when we are confronted with immense stress and difficulties."
I was wondering: 1) if it sounds natural enough and is grammatically correct to use the plural "lives" instead of "life" to suggest a greater degree of inclusiveness,
I don't know what you mean by "greater degree of inclusiveness", but "everyone" is singular, so use "life" not "lives"*.

and 2) if "we" is a grammatically correct pronoun to use as a subject of the subordinate clause given the reference back to "everyone's lives".
No. Use "he/she is" or "they are". Note that "they" can work as a singular non-gender-specific reference.
If you want to use "we", then use "our lives" in the first part.

* I said that "life" is correct in your sentence above because a person has one life. Note, however, that the following, for example, is possible:
We need to consider everyone's thoughts on this issue. [One person can have different/several thoughts]

I have no issue with "everyone's lives" but I was surprised to see "we", not "they".

1) Yes. The plural lives is preferable since you're talking about everyone.
2) As post #4 says, it's not quite right to use we with everyone.

To keep the sense of inclusiveness that you want, I'd suggest the following:

There are times in all of our lives when we are confronted with immense stress and difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back