[General] Except I have to wash my hair every day for the rest of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,
Could anyone out there tell me why Rose suddenly started talking about washing her hair every day in the following scene. It’s from The Golden Girls, Season 1, Episode 5.

Dr. Clayton: Mrs. Clayton and I are no longer together.
Dorothy: Oh, I'm so sorry. So, tell me, have you had a chance to see much of the city?
Dr. Clayton: No, not really.
Dorothy: Perhaps I could show you some of the highlights sometime.
Dr. Clayton: That sounds great. I'd love it!
Rose: I'd love to go, too. (Dorothy stamps on Rose’s foot. She wants to be alone with the doctor.) Except I have to wash my hair every day for the rest of my life. It's very oily.

Thanks as always.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
She doesn't have to wash her hair. But when Dorothy stomps on her foot, she realizes that she's not welcome. So she makes up an excuse for not being able to come: She has to wash her hair.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Having a need to wash her hair is a stereotyped way for a woman to turn down a date. The character is using it preemptively to avoid going out with the doctor.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, the character of Rose (played by the estimable Betty White) was naive, gullible, and somewhat dim-witted at times, so we wouldn't expect her character to come up with a graceful or tactful exit on the spot. It's true to Rose's character to only come up with such a blatantly implausible excuse.

Honestly, I'm surprised Rose even got the hint. I wouldn't have put it past her to turn around and ask Dorothy why she stepped on her foot!

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dorothy's stamping on Rose's foot was a hint to her to back off from being a potential "light bulb". The latter was alert enough to have got the hint.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dorothy's stamping on Rose's foot was a hint to her to back off from being a potential "light bulb". The latter was alert enough to have got the hint.

That expression is meaningless in English. Google seems to suggest it's the Chinese equivalent of what we'd call a 'third wheel' in English.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That expression is meaningless in English. Google seems to suggest it's the Chinese equivalent of what we'd call a 'third wheel' in English.

BrE uses "gooseberry" and "spare wheel" as well as "third wheel" for a third person in the company of a couple.

There's also the mildly offensive "I don't want to be the spare d*ck at a wedding".

Status
Not open for further replies.