Explain phrases "right home"& "let a voice".

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonghoujun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Now I am reading AMERICAN STORIE : "How John Boscoe Outsung the Devil". There are two phrases "right home"& "let a voice" in it. I don't know what they mean. Explain them, please. Thanks!
See part of its original below:
Well the pastor saw John changing too. So one Sunday, he preached a red-hot sermon on pride. He told how the devil got kicked out of the heaven because pride. And then pastor brought that sermon right home to John Boscoe.
He told how a man could let a voice. A voice that god had given him to do good. Go to his head and turn him against his friend.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The text you quote is written in sentence fragments, making it particularly challenging. To bring home is a phrasal verb meaning "to make abundantly clear." The phrase beginning Let a voice ends two sentences later with Go to his head and turn him against his friend.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is going to be a challenging read for you if it's all written like that. It certainly appears that the author has made little attempt to write grammatically correct, or full, sentences.

"He told how the devil got kicked out of the heaven because pride" is not grammatically correct.
In normal writing, the final part (starting with "He told" and ending "against his friend") would have been written as one sentence, using commas instead of full stops.

gonghoujun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank GoesStation & emsr2d2 for your replies of my qustions. According to your replies, I have known their meanings. These sentences should be like this:
And then pastor brought that sermon right home to John Boscoe.
He told how a man could let a voice, a voice that god had given him to do good, go to his head and turn him against his friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.