Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Darolutamide, sold under the brand name Nubeqa, is an antiandrogen medication which is used in the treatment of non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer in men.[6][2][3][7][8] It is specifically approved to treat non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (nmCRPC) in conjunction with surgical or medical castration.
Source: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darolutamide

I understand "castration-resistant" as "of the behavior of men who refuse to accept the surgery of removing their testes for the treatment of prostate cancer". Am I on the right track?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No. Chemical castration lowers the levels of certain hormones in the testicles. The testicles are not removed.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry. I kewn very clearly what chemical castration meant before posting the thread.
The question is what is the meaning of "castration-resistant" - I heard that chemical castration was used in legal punishment for some serious criminals (sex offenders), in that case any resistance would be in vain since the legal enforcement is forced.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm pretty sure that the adjective castration-resistant modifying cancer means that the cancer will continue to develop despite castration treatment. In other words, castration is ineffective as a treatment.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I understand "castration-resistant" as "of the behavior of men who refuse to accept the surgery of removing their testes for the treatment of prostate cancer". Am I on the right track?
Sorry. I knew very clearly what chemical castration meant before posting the thread.
You didn't express it very clearly.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I must have prostate cancer, I hope it's castration-resistant.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
GoodTaste, the relevant phrase is "castration-resistant prostate cancer", which you highlighted in bold print.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think that this was news to a number of us reading this thread, so the confusion is understandable.

Status
Not open for further replies.