Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Good afternoon everyone,

I am trying to find the translation for "fake teeth" meaning teeth that a doctor has put in your mouth due to lack of natural teeth (which have been extracted).

What do you think of the following sentences:

"Many different materials have been used for artificial teeth"
"Many different materials have been used for fake teeth"

I have found more links in google for "fake teeth". Which of the sentences sounds better to you?

Regards,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good afternoon, everyone. (There's no need for a greeting. Just go ahead and ask your question.)

I am trying to find the translation for "fake teeth" meaning teeth that a doctor has put in your mouth due to a lack of natural teeth (which have been extracted).

What do you think of the following sentences?

"Many different materials have been used for artificial teeth."
"Many different materials have been used for fake teeth."

I have found more links in Google for "fake teeth". Which of the sentences sounds better to you?

Regards. Unnecessary.
The ones your dentist fits are called "false teeth". The only context I can think of for "fake teeth" would be if you were dressing up for, say, Hallowe'en and you stuck some plastic fangs in your mouth.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The ones your dentist fits are called "false teeth". The only context I can think of for "fake teeth" would be if you were dressing up for, say, Hallowe'en and you stuck some plastic fangs in your mouth.

Thanks emsr2d2 and everyone who has responded to my question! Actually, it sounds much clearer now and it's a great idea to insert fake fangs in your mouth for Halloween! When I was studying at school I heard about different traditions of celebrating the Halloween, all of them were very exciting!

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You could be talking about dentures, or possibly about implants.
Dear jutfrank! I think these two are among the best words I've been seeking! "Denture" and "implant" are similar in meaning, as I understand. I like "implant" more.

'Denture' seems like the whole artificial jaw with upper teeth and lower teeth stuck into one's mouth. Here is what Google pictures show:

I suppose dentures are mostly needed to old people who have lost all their natural teeth.

"Implant"seems to be like one construction in place of a natural tooth:

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Denture' seems like the whole artificial jaw with upper teeth and lower teeth stuck into one's mouth.

I suppose dentures are mostly needed to old people who have lost all their natural teeth.

Not necessarily. There are full and partial dentures. Partials can be any number of teeth, and are sometimes needed as a result of an injury, rather than just old age.

partials.jpg

The biggest difference is that implants are permanently implanted into the jaw via surgery. Dentures generally just sit on the gums with suction or dental adhesive and are removable for cleaning or sleep, as in the scene below.