Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi everyone! I got a question about pronunciation. I know some advanced concepts of american pronunciation, but I still have no clue how to make a flap T after 'R' sound. For example, I can easily pronunce flap T in 'city' and so on, but I can't do it in words like 'party', 'vertical' and so on. Hope you can help me!

Thanks in advance.

Timofey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks for reply.

I have watched that video already, and as I said, I can pronounce 'normal' flap T. But when it comes to words like 'vertical' or even phrases like 'expert in' my tongue just doesn't want to roll. It either doesn't roll or makes 'R' sound. The only success I accomplished so far is word 'party', I can make sort of flat T there, but it isn't clear.

Timofey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hey Tom, I really appreciate your reply! That seems like a precise explanation. I'll try it out and let you know how it goes.
Mind if I send you a couple of records me trying to say some word? Lets say on email.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Now that I think of it, it might have to do with too mouth mouth opening - both of those sounds are pronounced with the jaw almost closed - use a pinky space at the most between the upper & lower sets of teeth. Good luck!

????

Timofey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I tried it several times and realized one thing: it is not so easy for me to make that "swift motion", because in russian I'm used to make the 'R' sound by moving the tip of my tongue upwards. But when I'm making english 'R' sound the tip of my tongue is above the alveolar ridge so I have to make a downward motion. Should it be like this?
Also, in Rachel's English lessons she teaches to say the 'R' a bit differently. She says that in words such as 'party', 'vertical' the 'ar' & 'er' are pronounced with middle of the tongue almost touching the roof of the mouth while the tip is relaxed and pointing down.
Hope that was clear :)

Timofey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you so much! I will record as soon as I can.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The user who wrote those replies requested that his entire account (and posts) be deleted.

Timofey

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Status
Not open for further replies.