Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Food serves as a form of communication in two fundamental ways. Sharing bread or other foods is a common human tradition that can promote unity and trust. Food can also have a specific meaning, and play a significant role in a family or culture's celebrations or traditions. The foods we eat—and when and how we eat them—are often unique to a particular culture or may even differ between rural and urban areas within one country.

I am really confused with the first sentence? Does it mean food is a form? I am not sure. Could you please tell me what it means? And I think passive voice should be used in the sentence: Food is served as a form of communication in two fundamental ways. What do you think? Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could replace serves with acts without changing the meaning. Would it be clearer that way?

The passive voice version doesn't make sense.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Mike12345: In future, please do not use/include/import external formatting. If you need to paste some text into a post, paste it first to Notepad (that clears the formatting), then copy it from Notepad and paste it into the post. You can then use the forum's formatting options to highlight certain parts. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If have have right-click options, you can choose Paste as plain text to clear formatting.

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you! But I can not understand two fundamental ways. Do they refer to a form of communication or Food serves?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you teechar! Now I can understand better. But how to explain "as"? According to your translation, there is need to add "as". it's ok to say Food serves a form of communication in two fundamental ways. What do you think? Thanks again!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Mike12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you! Goesstation. But why is the conjunction as not required in the sentence 'Food represents (in two ways) a form of communication'.?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But why is the conjunction "as" not required in the sentence 'Food represents (in two ways) a form of communication'.?

The verb "represent" is a transitive verb; it requires an object. Think of "represent" as having "as" built into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.