Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "upcoming doctor’s visit" refer to "a doctor's visit to your home" like a home visit doctor or "your visiting a doctor"? I think the latter as a possesive can be used as an objective meaning.

36)One response that happens after a diagnosis of memory loss is the tendency to blame yourself when things do not go well. Here is a good example: Jane, a woman in her midsixties,recently got a call from her son, who asked her to get a bus pass for an upcoming doctor’s visit. A couple of days later, the son called and asked Jane if she had gotten the bus pass. She said, with some guilt, “Oh no, I’m sorry I forgot all about that.” Her son’s response was, “Well, Mom, I asked you to do that just two days ago.” Jane ended the conversation feeling upset at herself and telling herself she “shouldn’t” have forgotten what her son had asked. But her forgetfulness was not her fault. She could not control the memory loss.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does this "upcoming doctor’s visit" refer to "a doctor's visit to your home" like a home visit doctor or "your visiting a doctor"? I think the latter as a possesive can be used as an objective meaning.

36)One response that happens after a diagnosis of memory loss is the tendency to blame yourself when things do not go well. Here is a good example: Jane, a woman in her midsixties,recently got a call from her son, who asked her to get a bus pass for an upcoming doctor’s visit. A couple of days later, the son called and asked Jane if she had gotten the bus pass. She said, with some guilt, “Oh no, I’m sorry I forgot all about that.” Her son’s response was, “Well, Mom, I asked you to do that just two days ago.” Jane ended the conversation feeling upset at herself and telling herself she “shouldn’t” have forgotten what her son had asked. But her forgetfulness was not her fault. She could not control the memory loss.
Reading the text is always a good way to understand the meaning. If the son told her to get a bus pass, don't you think that she was going to see the doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.