Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Is 'for play' wrong because 'for' should be followed by the gerund or a noun? The first sentence is correct, I think.
1. 'They use the internet for work.'

2. 'They use the internet for play. 'Playing'.

3. 'He gives his children his phone for play. 'Playing'.

That's OK. 'Play' is a noun there.

In #2 'playing' isn't wrong, is it? And in #3 it should be 'playing'. Right? Or 'to play' but not 'play.'

In 2, you were not using a noun, but a verb. That's why it's ungrammatical.

Anyway, both play and playing are incorrect. You need to use to play.

In 3, you need to finish with to play with.

1 is fine.

In 2, you were not using a noun, but a verb. That's why it's ungrammatical.

Anyway, both play and playing are incorrect. You need to use to play.

In 3, you need to finish with to play with.

1 is fine.

So 2. 'They use the internet to play.' 3. 'He gives his children his phone to play with.'

I didn't understand when 'for play' is also possible. After reading Piscean's answer, I tried to find an explanation in Swan about for being followed by a noun but coudn't find anytihng.

Yes, that's correct.

The word for is a preposition, so it must be followed by a noun (or a verb in a gerund form, which you should consider as a noun, grammatically speaking).

Yes, that's correct.

The word for is a preposition, so it must be followed by a noun (or a verb in a gerund form, which you should consider as a noun, grammatically speaking).

But not in my sentences. Right?
2. 'They use the internet to play.' 3. 'He gives his children his phone to play with.'

So 2. 'They use the internet to play.' 3. 'He gives his children his phone to play with.'

I didn't understand when 'for play' is also possible. After reading Piscean's answer, I tried to find an explanation in Swan about for being followed by a noun but coudn't find anytihng.
For play. For fun. For entertainment. For diversion. For recreation. For my own amusement. For relaxation. For taking my mind off my responsibilities. For forgetting my problems.

For play!

But not in my sentences. Right?
2. 'They use the internet to play.' 3. 'He gives his children his phone to play with.'

What do you mean? Those sentences do not contain for.

What do you mean? Those sentences do not contain for.

I was asking if I could use 'for play' in them. What construction should a sentence have to make the use of 'for play' possible? I have received different answers. You said 'play' is wrong. Piscean said it's correct. That's why I am confused. As always, would be very grateful for an explanation.

For play. For fun. For entertainment. For diversion. For recreation. For my own amusement. For relaxation. For taking my mind off my responsibilities. For forgetting my problems.

For play!

How do you use them in a sentence?

I was asking if I could use 'for play' in them. What construction should a sentence have to make the use of 'for play' possible? I have received different answers. You said 'play' is wrong. Piscean said it's correct. That's why I am confused. As always, would be very grateful for an explanation.

No, you cannot use for play in them.

The correct way is to use to play because that's what you mean. (At least I think that's what you mean. It's sometimes very hard to know what you mean because you don't tend to tell us.)

Number 3 is a nice sentence. The meaning is clear.

I think number 2 is okay, but just so that we're sure, please tell us how you want to use it.

No, you cannot use for play in them.

The correct way is to use to play because that's what you mean. (At least I think that's what you mean. It's sometimes very hard to know what you mean because you don't tend to tell us.)

Number 3 is a nice sentence. The meaning is clear.

I think number 2 is okay, but just so that we're sure, please tell us how you want to use it.

For context. 1. 'A lot of people don't read much nowadays. We have an unlimited access to literature but it seems most people don't need that. They use the internet to play.'
2. 'When his kids are annoying, he gives them his phone to play with.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back