Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was trying to answer one of the questions asked by a friend of mine. The question is "Do you play video games and why?"

My answer was "I play puzzle-solving games because I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and delighted from the sense of achievement when solving all of them".

I don't think native speakers would phrase like I did. Could you tell me how to express it naturally?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just call them "puzzle games". The fact that you're trying to solve them is inherent in the name.
Look carefully at "...I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and delighted ...". The surrounding sentence isn't what I'd say but let's get that part fixed first.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I might say I enjoy solving puzzles, and I am delighted when I find the answer.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I just call them "puzzle games". The fact that you're trying to solve them is inherent in the name.
Look carefully at "...I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and delighted ...". The surrounding sentence isn't what I'd say but let's get that part fixed first.
I play puzzle games because I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and delighted from the sense of achievement when solving all of them.

Is this natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I play puzzle games because I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and delighted from the sense of achievement when solving all of them.

Is this natural correct?

No. I underlined "ing" and "ed" to give you a clue that there was a problem there. What you have in effect is ...

I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and I really enjoy the process of delighted from ...

There are two ways of looking at it:
1. The "I really enjoy the process of" is taken to refer to the thing before "and" and the thing after "and". I'm pretty certain that you recognise that "I really enjoy the process of delighted ..." isn't right.
2. The "I really enjoy" is taken to refer to the things before and after "and". In that case, you get "I really enjoy delighted from ...". I'm sure you know that's not right too.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No. I underlined "ing" and "ed" to give you a clue that there was a problem there. What you have in effect is ...

I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and I really enjoy the process of delighted from ...

There are two ways of looking at it:
1. The "I really enjoy the process of" is taken to refer to the thing before "and" and the thing after "and". I'm pretty certain that you recognise that "I really enjoy the process of delighted ..." isn't right.
2. The "I really enjoy" is taken to refer to the things before and after "and". In that case, you get "I really enjoy delighted from ...". I'm sure you know that's not right too.
Much appreciated. I didn't notice that. I think this is grammatical now:

I play puzzle games because I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and I am also delighted from the sense of achievement when solving all of them.

However, I don't think native speakers would say this at all. :(

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I also enjoy puzzles. Anyhow, I would phrase it more simply. I might say I enjoy doing it (the process) almost as much I enjoy finding the answer.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Much appreciated. I didn't notice that. I think this is grammatical now:

I play puzzle games because I really enjoy the process of unveiling some mystery and I am also delighted from the sense of achievement when solving all of them.

However, I don't think native speakers would say this at all. :(
I play puzzle games because I really enjoy the process of unravelling/solving them and I feel a real sense of achievement once I've solved all of them.

Puzzle games aren't "mysteries".