Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Happy new year.
Could you please help me improve these below sentences?
The problem has not been discussed so far. In the following we will discuss it for the first time.
If this is possible, could you rephrase them without using the word "first" or
"for the first time"?
Thank you very much.

Happy new year.
The problem has not been discussed so far. In the following we will discuss it for the first time.
"for the first time"?
Thank you very much.
***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe something like: The problem has not been discussed so far. We will now address/discuss it.

***NOT A TEACHER***Maybe something like: The problem has not been discussed so far. We will now address/discuss it.

My purpose is that, on one hand, I want to emphasize that this problem, which is important in the context, is discussed for the first time; on the other hand, I don't want to be arrogant.
Any suggestion?
Thanks

My purpose is that, on one hand, I want to emphasize that this problem, which is important in the context, is discussed for the first time; on the other hand, I don't want to be arrogant.
Any suggestion?
Thanks
***NOT A TEACHER***I don't understand your use of the word "arrogant." Do you mean that you don't want your sentences to sound too much like an order? Then maybe something more conversational like: Since we have not had an opportunity to discuss this important matter, it might be helpful to bring it up at this time.

***NOT A TEACHER***I don't understand your use of the word "arrogant." Do you mean that you don't want your sentences to sound too much like an order? Then maybe something more conversational like: Since we have not had an opportunity to discuss this important matter, it might be helpful to bring it up at this time.

I used the word "arrogant" to mean "disdainfully proud".
Let's say, there is an important problem that lots of people have tried to solve it but they cannot. Now, you have been able to solve the problem, you are proud about the result. You want to emphasize that is the first time the problem was solved. So you write something like

"The problem has not been discussed so far. In the following we will discuss it for the first time.",

but it sounds quite 'disdainfully proud' since one of the readers (of this above sentences) will be the judge (or referee, just for example ) who is envious about your result. Thus, you would like to find a balance between being 'too humble' and 'disdainfully proud'.
Your suggested sentences sound a bit too humble to me.

Do you get me?

Happy new year.
"for the first time"?
Thank you very much.

"Up to these days, this problem has not been approached/addressed. We will discuss it in detail in the following."

"As it is well known, problem X has not been discussed in the literature yet. In the following, we shall address problem X."

"In the following we shall discuss problem X. Although blah blah blah, this problems has not been (received enough attention)/(been solved yet)/(properly addressed)."

In my opinion, however, it is not so important to state that you will discuss it for the first time. Just emphasize it has not been solved/discussed up to now.
Readers will see you have succeed and will start to refer your work as a pioneering one.

Good luck with the referees !!

Not a native speaker

"Up to these days, this problem has not been approached/addressed. We will discuss it in detail in the following."

"As it is well known, problem X has not been discussed in the literature yet. In the following, we shall address problem X."

"In the following we shall discuss problem X. Although blah blah blah, this problems has not been (received enough attention)/(been solved yet)/(properly addressed)."

In my opinion, however, it is not so important to state that you will discuss it for the first time. Just emphasize it has not been solved/discussed up to now.
Readers will see you have succeed and will start to refer your work as a pioneering one.

Good luck with the referees !!

Not a native speaker

Thank you very much.

So I go with:

This problem has not yet been addressed so far. In the following we will discuss it in detail.
Or,
This problem has not yet been addressed in the literature. In the following we will discuss it in detail.
Which one is better?
In a formal writing document, do these sentences sound good?

Thank you very much.

So I go with:

This problem has not yet been addressed so far. In the following we will discuss it in detail.
Or,
This problem has not yet been addressed in the literature. In the following we will discuss it in detail.
Which one is better?
In a formal writing document, do these sentences sound good?

In the following what?

I used the word "arrogant" to mean "disdainfully proud".
Let's say, there is an important problem that lots of people have tried to solve it but they cannot. Now, you have been able to solve the problem, you are proud about the result. You want to emphasize that is the first time the problem was solved. So you write something like

"The problem has not been discussed so far. In the following we will discuss it for the first time.",

but it sounds quite 'disdainfully proud' since one of the readers (of this above sentences) will be the judge (or referee, just for example ) who is envious about your result. Thus, you would like to find a balance between being 'too humble' and 'disdainfully proud'.
Your suggested sentences sound a bit too humble to me.

Do you get me?
***NOT A TEACHER***That's my problem. I am by nature very humble. Hopefully, a more assertive person can give you the right balance that you are seeking. Good luck!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back