[General] Forbiddance abandoned. Does this sound natural?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone.

I came across these words and wonder whether the use of Forbiddance abandoned is correct and natural here?

Six years in Primary schook, three years in middle and another three years in hich school. We are at a very special stage in our not very long journey of life.
Some of you have already felt the differences. Forbiddance abandoned. All of a sudden, boys and girls, men and women go out in pairs and those of you, who haven't got your pairs, are reluctant in staying so.

Many thanks

Richard

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It means nothing to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Restrictions lifted?

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This was written by a friend of mine. I did some search on bing.com and found there is but a very small portion of users who would say things like abandon *** forbiddance.

My friend insists that the meaning of such usage is delivered in the context and though it hasn't really been used by people as proved by bing.com, the usage is accetable within the limits of the language and can be described as trying to coin up a fresh phrase.

I thought at first that he couldn't get away with it. Then I realised I didn't know the answer. So I came here and wanted to hear the teachers' opinions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He's right that we are free to coin any phrase we like, but this one is a bit cumbersome and impenetrable IMO. He's free to use it, but I am sure it won't catch on, which seems to defeat the purpose a bit to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I told you it means nothing to me. Tdol appears to be guessing what it means. So, the meaning is not clear from conyext, at least not to speakers of BrE.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Based on the age of the speaker and the sentence that follows this phrase, my guess is the phrase has something to with dating. Could he be saying that dating is now allowed? What ever he/she meant, the phrase does not effectively deliver the message.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I told you it means nothing to me. Tdol appears to be guessing what it means. So, the meaning is not clear from conyext, at least not to speakers of BrE.

Nor to speakers of AmE.

Native speakers of a language can sometimes coin novelties that native speakers can guess the meaning of. Non-native speakers generally cannot. I have often attempted to coin humorous and novel Spanish phrases for my Mexican friends, with absolutely zero success.

Status
Not open for further replies.