Fortunately, we have two computers to do our work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[My sentences]
a. Fortunately, we have two emulators to test games with.
b. Fortunately, we have two computers to do our work with.
---
Are the prepositions necessary and correct?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Correct grammatically, yes. Necessary? It depends what you mean. Take the second example: If the computers do the work, don't use the prepositions. If it's you who do the work, then the prepositions are required for the sentence to make sense.

Do you see the difference now?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Correct grammatically, yes. Necessary? It depends what you mean. Take the second example: If the computers do the work, don't use the prepositions. If it's you who do the work, then the prepositions are required for the sentence to make sense.

Do you see the difference now?
Thank you, jutfrank. I have got it. But why did you use prepositions in the plural? In the second example, there is only one "with", isn't it?

Ah, I think you used prepositions (plural) to refer to the ones in both of my sentences. However, since you clearly pointed out the second example, it would be correct to use preposition (singular). Is that right?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I should have used the singular, yes. I'll leave the error in place for now.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Given that kadioguy asked about two sentences, each containing a preposition, and the wording of his question, 'Are the prepositions necessary and correct?', I think I'd have used the plural 'prepositions'.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Truth be told, I first wrote the plural prepositions, in reference to the two prepositions in the original post. Later, during the editing of my response, I removed my mention of the 'emulators' sentence, choosing to focus on the 'computers' sentence only. I simply neglected to go back and remove the 's'.

I must have forgotten for a moment how careful one must be when responding to kadioguy questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.