Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On another forum post recently, I saw the language police after another user. I am wondering if the quoted sentence is a complete or incomplete sentence. Thanks in advance.

"Just a friendly reminder. "

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello and welcome to the forum. Please note that I have changed your thread title. Titles should contain some or all of the words asked about.

There is no verb in the phrase you asked about, so I suppose strictly speaking it is not a sentence. On the other hand it is perfectly acceptable and ordinary usage. Think of it as similar to, for example, "Thank you very much", which also has no verb but which we say all the time

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Think of it as similar to, for example, "Thank you very much", which also has no verb but which we say all the time
That's an interesting example. I've always thought of "Thank you very much" as a shortened version of "I thank you very much", so have always considered it to have a verb but no subject!

I certainly consider the fragment in post #1 an incomplete sentence. It's missing "This is" at the start.

Eddie Long

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's an interesting example. I've always thought of "Thank you very much" as a shortened version of "I thank you very much", so have always considered it to have a verb but no subject!

I certainly consider the fragment in post #1 an incomplete sentence. It's missing "This is" at the start.
I agree but there certainly is an implied "this is".

Status
Not open for further replies.