Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've been reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and I can't quite understand the phrase below:

...his conversation consisted of nothing but arithmetic. On my politely bidding him Good morning, he said, pompously, "Seven times nine, boy?" And how should I be able to answer, dodged in that way, in a strange place, on an empty stomach! I was hungry, but before I had swallowed a morsel, he began a running sum that lasted all through the breakfast....

What does that mean, "dodged in that way"? Thank you

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think it means something very like 'tricked' or 'given a trick question' 'put on the spot' or 'put to the test.'

It seems the word dodge means requiring someone to be cunning or use their wits.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've been reading [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens and I can't quite understand the phrase below:
Please note my amendments to your post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it means something very like 'tricked' or 'given a trick question' 'put on the spot' or 'put to the test.'

It seems the word dodge means requiring someone to be cunning or use their wits.

Put on the spot/to the test seem to fit better in this context than the first two IMO.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is definitely not an answer, so I have not started with the disclaimer "Not a Teacher."

I do not read fiction, so I have never read Mr. Dickens's novel. I did, however, read the whole paragraph in the "books" section of Google, and I also found two examples of "dodged in that way" that were not written by Mr. Dickens.

I'm a terrible reader, but I believe that when our hero greeted the pompous Mr. Pumblechook with "Good Morning," that gentleman dodged (avoided / ignored) giving the usual response and instead launched into an absurd question about math.

So my question to the teachers (or well-read non-teachers):

Could that sentence possibly mean something like:

How should I be able to answer, having had my "Good morning" salutation dodged [ignored] by him in that way [asking an absurd math question], in a strange place, on an empty stomach?

Thank you,

James

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is definitely not an answer, so I have not started with the disclaimer "Not a Teacher."

I do not read fiction, so I have never read Mr. Dickens's novel. I did, however, read the whole paragraph in the "books" section of Google, and I also found two examples of "dodged in that way" that were not written by Mr. Dickens.

I'm a terrible reader, but I believe that when our hero greeted the pompous Mr. Pumblechook with "Good Morning," that gentleman dodged (avoided / ignored) giving the usual response and instead launched into an absurd question about math.

So my question to the teachers (or well-read non-teachers):

Could that sentence possibly mean something like:

How should I be able to answer, having had my "Good morning" salutation dodged [ignored] by him in that way [asking an absurd math question], in a strange place, on an empty stomach?

This is unlikely. Given the Dickensian nickname, the Artful Dodger, and many other uses of the word in Dickens, it is clear that the vernacular on London's streets among the poor in the Victorian era included a broader variety of meanings for 'dodge' than today's 'avoid', including "dither," "work," and "do."

https://londonparticulars.wordpress.com/tag/charles-dickens/

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And you still have dodgy in BrE for something that isn't completely honest or trustworthy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I'm with The Parser. I took it to mean "having had my 'Good morning' dodged".

Status
Not open for further replies.