Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
1. I got a good price for my microwave.
2. I got a good price for my old car.

This got me a little confused, but if I understand this correctly then the meaning of the first sentence is that I bought my microwave cheaply, and the second one means that I sold my old car for a decent amount of money. Correct?
I also believe that it's possible to turn around the meanings in both sentences. Is that correct too?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
To me they both imply that you were the seller. If you want to say that you bought your microwave at good price substitute on for for. I don't understand the rest. What do you mean by turn around the meanings?

Last edited:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you are the buyer, you could say:

I got a good deal on my microwave.

Madness1

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Great Britain
The reason I asked is this:

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/lifest...here-to-get-it-cheapest-in-portsmouth-3295337

"Petrol prices are at an 8 year high - here's where to get it cheapest in Portsmouth

Data from RAC Fuel Watch show that prices have been rising for eight straight months.

A litre of unleaded petrol rose by 2.7p-a-litre in June taking it to 132.19p, which is the highest it has been since October 2013.This means that the price of unleaded has rocketed up by 18p-a-litre since November 2020.

Diesel has also seen a rise in prices in June, up 2.5p to 134.32p – which is the most expensive it has been since June 2019.

But where are the best places to get a good price for petrol in and around Portsmouth?"

According to this article , "get a good price" can be said from the perspective of a buyer, not just a seller.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As Tdol said the other day, the ultimate determiner of meaning is context. When you posed your question you provided none. Now you've provided plenty of context in a rather different example.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Context is king— we can be fairly sure that motorists will be buying fuel from filling stations, not selling it to them.

Having said that, I wouldn't have phrased it as Hollie Busby did.

Last edited: