Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The phrase "get him a cab" sounds to be British. Would it be "get him a taxi" in the US?

==================
Dr George Christos tweeted today:

Nobel Laureate Murray Gellmann (quarks + quantum chromodynamics) spoke 41 languages fluently including Welsh. I was walking him back from a conference in General Relativity to get him a cab. He asked me what my ethnic background was. I said Macedonian and he spoke to me fluently.

==================
Off-topic: Speaking 41 languages fluently doesn't mean he can use it in depth, especially for Chinese Language. I don't believe him unless he writes some texts in Chinese with suffcient depth.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think "taxi" would be more likely in BrE but it is very much a matter of personal taste. It isn't something that you can use to determine nationality.

When tweeting there is the advantage that you save a character by writing "cab"'.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The (rarely-used) full name of the conveyance is "taxicab". "Taxi" and "cab" are simple short forms of the word.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In London the vehicle's registration plate will say "licensed taxi" and the drivers badge will say "cab driver".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
New Yorkers use "cab" then?

Many Americans use 'cab', not just New Yorkers. Both 'taxi' and 'cab' are widely used across the entire US. One or the other may be slightly more common in a given region, but I seriously doubt anyone would even notice if you used the other.

It's only an issue in bigger cities anyway. Smaller towns and rural areas won't even have occasion to use either term, as there's no such service.

I live in a town of about 19,000, and we've only had taxi service in the last 10 years or so. We got a bus system about 8 years ago. Until then, people either drove themselves, hitched a ride, walked, or bicycled.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In London, the vehicle's registration plate will say "licensed taxi" and the driver's badge will say "cab driver".

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.