Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I'm a little bit confused by the verb "get" in this sentence. Here, does it mean to receive or obtain the ball? "Take" means to kick?

73mins: Everton 0 Chelsea 1
Chance for Alli. He gets the ball from Patterson but he takes too long and Azpilicueta denies him.

Koulibaly is down for the second time in the match with cramp.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With "gets", it depends whether Alli and Patterson are on the same team or opposing teams. If they're on the same team, then Patterson probably kicked the ball to Alli. If they're on opposing teams, Alli probably tackled Patterson and gained control of the ball.

No, "to take too long" means "to not be quick enough" or "to spend longer than ideal/necessary doing something". I assume the original means that Alli didn't do something useful with the ball quickly enough and Cesar Azpilicueta got it from him.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I take it that he didn't shoot the ball quick enough, and the goalie was able to get into position to block (deny) the shot.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I take it that he didn't shoot the ball quick enough, and the goalie was able to get into position to block (deny) the shot.
I often hear the commentator use "deny". For example: Allison Becker denies Rashford. In this sentence, does the commentator drop "shot?" The goalie denies Rashford (shot).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. There's nothing dropped. Whether it is the shot that is denied, or the person is denied, the meaning is the same.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
By the way, Azpilicueta is a defender, not a goalkeeper, so I guess it means Alli's shot was blocked rather than that Azpilicueta took possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.