Give the red envenope to child that is a traditional culture in China.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Is the following sentence sentence make sense and natural?

Give the red envenope to child that is a traditional culture in China.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is Does the following sentence sentence make sense and is it natural?

Give Giving the a red envelope to a child that is a traditional culture tradition in China.
Please note my corrections above. I have also changed your thread title.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Can I use the word "Give" in the opening sentence. I don't think giving, you add +ing is making sense. Do you mind correct me?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
emsr2d2 has already corrected your original version. Her version is, as always, correct.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I use the word "Give" in the opening sentence. I don't think "Giving" (you added -ing) is making makes sense. Do you mind correcting me?
If you use "Give" at the start of a sentence, it's an imperative. You are telling other people what to do. The only way to use that would be to say something like "Give a Chinese child a red envelope. It's tradition".

With all due respect, I think you are trying to construct sentences that are too difficult for your level of English. You need to concentrate on the basics.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
If you use "Give" at the start of a sentence, it's an imperative. You are telling other people what to do. The only way to use that would be to say something like "Give a Chinese child a red envelope. It's tradition".

With all due respect, I think you are trying to construct sentences that are too difficult for your level of English. You need to concentrate on the basics.
Is it corect to understand your meaning about underlinded in red?
You are giving the instruction through the sentence. If you are using "Give", you are trying to say something just like a normal sentence without any instruction.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please note my corrections above. I have also changed your thread title.
@emsr2d2 You may want to take another look at your title for this thread. It does not make sense the way it is written. ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@emsr2d2 You may want to take another look at your title for this thread. It does not make sense the way it is written. ;)
It is exactly the sentence the OP wrote in post #1. When I change titles from something pointless and inappropriate, I paste in the OP's exact words from their post. I don't make corrections there. That's for responses.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it corect to understand Have I understood your meaning about in the red, underlined part? in red?
You are giving the an instruction through the sentence. If you are using use "Give", you are trying to saying something just like a normal sentence without any an instruction.
No. I don't think you have understood correctly.

Give a child a red envelope ... = an instruction (the imperative)
Giving a child a red envelope ... = general information (not the imperative)

I think these terms and explanations are too difficult for your level of English. Why don't you start a new thread and simply tell us a few things about yourself? For example, tell us where you live, how old you are, how long you've been studying English, and other basic information.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
No. I don't think you have understood correctly.

Give a child a red envelope ... = an instruction (the imperative)
Giving a child a red envelope ... = general information (not the imperative)

I think these terms and explanations are too difficult for your level of English. Why don't you start a new thread and simply tell us a few things about yourself? For example, tell us where you live, how old you are, how long you've been studying English, and other basic information.
What about the following two sentences that I express correctly?

Trying my best to help my friend to overcome the covid-2019.
Try to teach you a skill that you can learn and then how to make it to survive, not more than give you the food.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What about Have I expressed the following two sentences that I express correctly?

I am trying my best to help my friend to overcome the Covid-2019.
I am trying to teach you a skill so that you can learn and then how to make it to survive. That is better than giving you food. not more than give you the food.
You are trying to write sentences that are too difficult for a beginner. Go back to basics. Write short simple sentences.

output

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You are trying to write sentences that are too difficult for a beginner. Go back to basics. Write short simple sentences.
I don't know why are you writing "giving" is correct, but I am wrong If I write "give".
Secondly, I used the words "try" or "trying" that both are okay for me. Why is it wrong?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Look at post #2 again. The sentence that emsr2d2 gave you is what we think you're trying to say:

Giving a red envelope to a child is a tradition in China.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it helps, think of "Giving" at the start as "The act of giving ...".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
output, it would make more sense if you included in your post (for the benefit of those who have never heard of this custom) that red envelopes are given to children at the Chinese New Year and should contain a gift of coins or banknotes (AE bills).