Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Could you check my sentence please? Should I use the indefinite article before "possibility"?

"This system gives the government a possibility to earn money from high level workers and thereby makes the economical system better." ( I am talking about taxation).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you check my sentence please? Should I use the indefinite article before "possibility"?

"This system gives the government [STRIKE]a possibility to earn[/STRIKE] the possibility of earning money from high-level workers and thereby makes the economic[STRIKE]al[/STRIKE] system better." ( I am talking about taxation).

See above. "a possibility" doesn't work there.

I don't know what you mean by "high-level workers". Almost everyone pays tax, regardless of their level or income. Taxes don't necessarily make any economy better. It entirely depends on what the government spends those taxes on.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
See above. "a possibility" doesn't work there.

I don't know what you mean by "high-level workers". Almost everyone pays tax, regardless of their level or income. Taxes don't necessarily make any economy better. It entirely depends on what the government spends those taxes on.

Should it be "the opportunity"? "High-level" workers are employees who earn a lot and "low-level" workers are those who don't earn much. But they don't sound natural, do they? It must be a word for word translation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Should it be "the opportunity"? "High-level" workers are employees who earn a lot and "low-level" workers are those who don't earn much. But they don't sound natural, do they? It must be a word-for-word translation.

I clearly changed it to "the opportunity" in my corrections in the quote box. Could you not see that?

I don't like those terms at all. It sounds too hierarchical. I'd use "high-paid" and "low-paid".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I clearly changed it to "the opportunity" in my corrections in the quote box. Could you not see that?

I don't like those terms at all. It sounds too hierarchical. I'd use "high-paid" and "low-paid".

Where is "the opportunity"? This is the part you corrected.

"This system gives the government a possibility to earn the possibility of earning money from high-level workers and thereby makes the economical system better." ( I am talking about taxation).

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I crossed out "a possibility to earn" and wrote "the possibility of earning". Sorry. I missed that you were asking if you could change "possibility" to "opportunity". Yes. In fact, "opportunity" would be better.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Where is "the opportunity"? This is the part you corrected.

"This system gives the government a possibility to earn the possibility of earning money from high-level workers and thereby makes the economical system better." ( I am talking about taxation).

I would write:
The system enables the government to collect money from high-income workers, thus contributing to the economy of the country.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I crossed out "a possibility to earn" and wrote "the possibility of earning". Sorry. I missed that you were asking if you could change "possibility" to "opportunity". Yes. In fact, "opportunity" would be better.

Should it be "the opportunity"?

Status
Not open for further replies.