Go for/on a boat trip/ride, the Baikal, the reserve, in ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use a comma instead of the second "in" before Russia and is it wrong to use "the" before Baikal? I think using "go for/on a boat trip/ride" is better than "sail on a ship/boat"?
I used "the reserve" because it's the only one there but it wasn't mentioned before, though.

"An interesting place in Siberia in Russia is Lake Baikal. It is a fresh-water lake. People can sail on a ship/boat walk around the reserve, breathe fresh air and enjoy the scenery."

Perhaps:

People can go for a boat ride, hike around the lake, breathe fresh air, and enjoy the scenery.

I don't know what you mean by "reserve" there.

Perhaps:

People can go for a boat ride, hike around the lake, breathe fresh air, and enjoy the scenery.

I don't know what you mean by "reserve" there.

I mean its nature reserve. I think I should use the definite article because it's a specific location, and it doesn't matter if it was mentioned before. Right? Is it wrong to say "go for a walk" in the reserve?

I mean it's a nature reserve. I think I should use the definite article because it's a specific location, and it doesn't matter if it was mentioned before. Right? Is it wrong to say "go for a walk" in the reserve?

No, it's not wrong to say "go for a walk" there.

Are you sure you don't mean "nature preserve"?

No, it's not wrong to say "go for a walk" there.

Are you sure you don't mean "nature preserve"?
No, I mean nature reserve. So it should be "People can go for a walk in the (nature) reserve" and "People can hike in the (nature) reserve," and "People can walk around the (nature) reserve". Right?

Last edited:
No, I mean nature reserve. So it should be "People can go for a walk in the (nature) reserve" and "People can hike in the (nature) reserve," and "People can walk around the (nature) reserve". Right?
All three of those sentences are grammatically correct. "Nature reserve" is the correct term.

All three of those sentences are grammatically correct. "Nature reserve" is the correct term.
Google doesn't seem to think so. When I typed "nature reserve" they changed "reserve" to "preserve".

🤔

Google doesn't seem to think so. When I typed "nature reserve" they changed "reserve" to "preserve".

🤔
Google is talking absolute nonsense! There are stacks of "nature reserves" in the UK.

It is another Am-E - Br-E difference. Read definition B2 here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back