Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
If a noun is used for the first time we shoud use "a". But in these examples the speaker uses "supermarket" and "shops" for the first time. Moreover we don't know about this supermarket/shops, so we should use "a supermarket and "shops", not "the supermarket" and the shops". But these examples are from Cambridge dictionary that said it, what exactly does the writer mean to say?

I'm going to go to the supermarket after work.
There is no milk. I'll buy some when I go to the shops.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
They are just example sentences. Very likely those sentences are excerpts from books, magazines, movies, etc.

For example, this sentence:
- I'm going to go to the supermarket after work.

It's a common expression. One possible scenario is a husband had a phone conversation with his wife, and he said to his wife "I'm going to the supermarket after work." She of course knows "the" supermarket he refers to.

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
But is it OK to say "go to a supermarket" and "go to shops" here?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There's nothing wrong with it. In my case, however, I tell my friend I'm going to Aldi or Food Lion. Otherwise, she won't know which one. 😊

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But is it OK to say "go to a supermarket" and "go to shops" here?
The first is less natural than the original. The second is not natural.

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
The first is less natural than the original. The second is not natural.
There is more than one supermarket, for instance. Why is "a" less natural?

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
There's nothing wrong with it. In my case, however, I tell my friend I'm going to Aldi or Food Lion. Otherwise, she won't know which one. 😊
Could you elaborate why "go to shops" is not natural?

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There is more than one supermarket, for instance. Why is "a" less natural?
I am afraid that it's just the way that native speakers speak.

If I said that I would stop a "a supermarket" it would mean that I didn't know what supermarkets were available. If I said "the supermarket" it could be one of several that I normally use.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a noun is used for the first time we shoud use "a". But in these examples the speaker uses "supermarket" and "shops" for the first time. Moreover we don't know about this supermarket/shops, so we should use "a supermarket and "shops", not "the supermarket" and the shops". But these examples are from Cambridge dictionary that said it, what exactly does the writer mean to say?

It's not about whether it's the first time we're mentioning the noun. It has to do with whether others are familiar with the specific noun you mean. Yes, one way of establishing that familiarity is to mention it in an earlier sentence, but there other ways.

For example, as Peter said, it might be one of your usual stops, or perhaps it's the only option available, or it's the closest one. There are lots of ways to establish specificity. Mentioning it for the first time is not the only way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you elaborate why "go to shops" is not natural?
I think that's British English. I might say I'm going grocery shopping or that I'm going to the store or specify where I'm going.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If a noun is used for the first time we shoud use "a".

This is completely wrong.

Moreover we don't know about this supermarket/shops, so we should use "a supermarket and "shops", not "the supermarket" and the shops".

What matters is whether the speaker thinks the listener will know what he means.

In this sentence, it is very likely that both speaker and listener know exactly which supermarket is being referred to, and they both know that the other also knows.

Similarly, it's quite likely that the listener knows exactly which shops are being referred to. At the least, the listener would probably know the particular shopping area being spoken about.

(Like Tarheel, I suspect the expression 'go to the shops' is a uniquely British English one. Can we ascertain whether this is true?)

Last edited:

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
In this sentence, it is very likely that both speaker and listener know exactly which supermarket is being referred to, and they both know that the other also knows.
Although there are several supermarkets, banks, petrol stations, pubs, cinemas or such other places (Go to + place of bussiness). Would you use "the?"

I'm going to the cinema/the pub/the bank/petrol station.

If the person I'm speaking to doesn't know which pub/cinema/bank, etc, I will go to. Do we still use "the"?

I know which one I'm going to because it's clear to me, but what if the reader or listener is not familiar which pub/cinema/bank, etc,. which I'm referring to. Would I also use "the?"

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Like Tarheel, I suspect the expression 'go to the shops' is a uniquely British English one. Can we ascertain whether this is true?)

Yes, it's generally true. We go to the store. Or go shopping. But not "to the shops."

Kontol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Yes, it's generally true. We go to the store. Or go shopping. But not "to the shops."
Why does "shop" use the plural? Even though there are several shops nearby, I usually go to one of them. It should use the singular, shouldn't it?

We go to the store/I'm going to the store. As a reader, I don't know which store you mean. Could you explain?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You need to understand that when I say "I'm going to the store" that the person I am talking to either already knows which one I am talking about, or will ask me to specify. Or doesn't care.

An outside observer may very well have no idea exactly which store I mean. But that's OK. The communication isn't meant for them.

As for why Britons say "the shops" I imagine that is because they go, or used to go, to multiple shops. One for bread. One for meat. One for green vegetables. Etc.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I agree with Dave. In AmE a 'shop' is a place for manufacturing or repairing things - a workshop. Without any additional context, I think most AmE would take 'shop' to refer to an auto repair shop - aka a mechanic's garage. However, it could well refer to a woodworking or blacksmithing shop, or any craft/hobby shop, too.

My home shop is just a glorified tool shed, with some extra benches and vises and lots of cabinets.

Although, come to think of it, there are a few limited instances where AmE does use 'shop' for 'store'. Gunshops, garden shops, bait and tackle shops, and outdoor shops come to mind. Not sure if it's just a coincidence, but I notice all those are related to outdoorsy type stuff.