Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
(On a Facebook page)

A benefit concert titled 'Love is King. It Makes Us All Equal' was held yesterday at the Taipei Arena, featuring pop singers in support of equality and speaking up for the LGBT people. At the concert, a gay couple was invited to go up onto the stage to get their 'lucky draw prize' which turned out to be a planned proposal. I can feel their love which was so genuine just by watching the video. It kind of makes me wonder when someone will propose to me.
------

1. In this case, can all of the three be used and mean the same thing?

a. go up onto the stage
b. go up on the stage
c. go up to the stage

2. I would rewrite the red part like this:

Even only by watching the video, I can feel their love being so genuine.

Do you think that it is better?
-----
(Source)
mOGOnvs.jpg

If you go up to the stage, you do not necessarily step onto the stage.

We could be on the same level. That is to say, the stage isn't higher than the ground we stand on.

That's how I understand what you mean.

No, you could be on the ground, the stage could be ten feet high, and you could walk forwards until you're standing directly in front of the stage but the actual platform of the stage would still be ten feet above your head.

No, you could be on the ground, the stage could be ten feet high, and you could walk forwards until you're standing directly in front of the stage but the actual platform of the stage would still be ten feet above your head.
So "go up to the stage" could mean to take an elevator, rather than walk up, to the stage? And "go up onto/on the stage" means to walk up to the stage?

Last edited:
NO! emsr2d2 has told you what it means.

NO! emsr2d2 has told you what it means.
OK, I see. "Go up to the stage" could mean to move forward to be near the stage, and then not to go a step further to be onto it - we just stand before the stage.

Am I right this time?

That's what emsr2d2 said in post #6.

(On a Facebook page)

A benefit concert titled 'Love is King. It Makes Us All Equal' was held yesterday at the Taipei Arena, featuring pop singers in support of equality and speaking up for the LGBT people. At the concert, a gay couple was invited to go up onto the stage to get their 'lucky draw prize' which turned out to be a planned proposal. I can feel their love which was so genuine just by watching the video. It kind of makes me wonder when someone will propose to me.
------

2. I would rewrite the red part like this:

Even only by watching the video, I can feel their love being so genuine.

Could you tell me how you would improve the sentence?

By sticking with the original in the text.
I can feel their love which was so genuine just by watching the video.
-----
But I really think that the relative clause is a little wordy. How about this version?

I can feel their love being so genuine just by watching the video.

Remember that a stage is not just one-dimensional. It has a top and sides and a front. If you're at a concert, you're not at the same level as the performers. They are higher than you. They are on the stage. You are in front of the stage (but lower than the top of it). If you move forwards to be closer to the stage, you would still be at the same level you were before you moved. You would simply be closer to the performers. If they invite you up on stage, you would probably have to go round to the side of the stage and climb a few stairs. Then you would be on stage with them.

I can feel their love which was so genuine just by watching the video.
-----
But I really think that the relative clause is a little wordy. How about this version?

I can feel their love being so genuine just by watching the video.

Neither works. "I can tell that their love is genuine just by watching the video."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back