Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ignoring rules of sentence completion, how best to punctuate the phrase "good indeed"?
"good indeed" as if it were the immediate response to someone else's "Wow! That IS good!"
I'm sure there are a variety of punctuation options, but I'm looking for absolute grammatical correctness in this contextual scenario
I can provide additional, more specific context , if needed.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ignoring rules of sentence completion, how best to should I punctuate the phrase "Good indeed"?
I want to use "Good indeed" as if it were the immediate response to someone else's "Wow! That IS good!"
I'm sure there are a variety of punctuation options, but I'm looking for absolute grammatical correctness in this contextual scenario.
I can provide additional, more specific, context if needed.
I'm going to ask you to provide more context. I'm not talking about context of the phrase "Good indeed!" I'd like to discover why you're asking this, and why you think there's just one correct answer if you know there are "a variety of punctuation options".
I understand that you don't want us to point out that "Good indeed" isn't a complete sentence but please remember that you're still required to write in complete sentences for the rest of your post. We always ask native speakers to set a good example to English learners.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Mexico
Ignoring rules of sentence completion, how best to punctuate the phrase "good indeed"?
"good indeed" as if it were the immediate response to someone else's "Wow! That IS good!"
I'm sure there are a variety of punctuation options, but I'm looking for absolute grammatical correctness in this contextual scenario
I can provide additional, more specific context , if needed.

"good indeed" only needs to be punctuated with an exclamation mark purely because we are exclaiming a quality.

Good indeed! and that's it! It's similar to good grief! or good heavens! Although obviously nobody says those :ROFLMAO:

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Good indeed" only needs to be punctuated with an exclamation mark purely because we are exclaiming a quality.

"Good indeed!" and that's it! It's similar to "Good grief!" or "Good heavens!", although obviously nobody says those. :ROFLMAO:
@englishwithcraig Welcome to the forum. Please note my changes above. As an English teacher, it's important that you set a good example of capitalisation and punctuation usage.
As Barque said, "Good indeed" is nothing like "Good grief/heavens!" It's an adapted form of "Indeed, it is good", used when agreeing with the previous statement.

You need to change your username. We don't allow usernames or avatars to be used to advertise a business. If you can't work out how to change it, please post in the Support Area and someone will help you.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Mexico
@englishwithcraig Welcome to the forum. Please note my changes above. As an English teacher, it's important that you set a good example of capitalisation and punctuation usage.
As Barque said, "Good indeed" is nothing like "Good grief/heavens!" It's an adapted form of "Indeed, it is good", used when agreeing with the previous statement.

You need to change your username. We don't allow usernames or avatars to be used to advertise a business. If you can't work out how to change it, please post in the Support Area and someone will help you.
Avatar changed, and just so I can reply to this thread, I can only change my username on or after February 3rd, 2023!

I am aware that "Good indeed" is nothing like "Good grief/heavens", but the question asked how we would punctuate it in written English. You can not put a comma in between the words and since we are exclaiming our agreement that something is very good, the only way to punctuate the phrase would be to add an exclamation mark.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I suppose you could use a full stop too, but it'd take away the "indeed" from the "indeed".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Barque You could, but the person is expressing strong agreement.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
That's exactly what I'm saying. :)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I mean, I was agreeing with you, and maybe I wasn't very clear. "Indeed" expresses strong agreement as you said, and if you use just a full stop instead of an exclamation mark, you take away the effect/emphasis of the word "indeed". So yes, an exclamation mark sounds the most suitable option.

jdavidson3655

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not an exclamation. It gets no exclamation point. It's more of a pompous proclamation. Though, "good" is the first word shown, this doesn't necessarily mean it begins the sentence. Think of the phrase as more of a visual representation of someone's thoughts, or spoken words rather than written words. This is odd i know, but there is a difference.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's not an exclamation. It gets requires no exclamation point. It's more of a pompous proclamation. Although no comma here "good" is the first word shown, this doesn't necessarily mean it begins the sentence. Think of the phrase as more of a visual representation of someone's thoughts no comma here or spoken words rather than written words. This is odd, I know, but there is a difference.
@jdavidson3655 Please note my amendments above. As a native speaker, it's important that you use correct capitalisation, punctuation and grammar as a good example to non-native speakers.
I disagree with your statement that it's "a pompous proclamation". There's nothing pompous about it at all. It's simply a way of saying "I agree that it's good".

jdavidson3655

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this an American website?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
UsingEnglish.com has members from all over the world. Our moderators live inThe United States, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada and the Czech Republic. We accept all standard varieties of English,

Status
Not open for further replies.