Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Creating and verifying signatures uses the public/private keypair in an operation different from encryption and decryption. A signature is created using the private key of the signer. The signature is verified using the corresponding public key. For example, Alice would use her own private key to digitally sign her latest submission to the Journal of Inorganic Chemistry. The associate editor handling her submission would use Alice's public key to check the signature to verify that the submission [indeed came]/[had indeed come] from Alice and that it had not been modified since Alice sent it. A consequence of using digital signatures is that it is difficult to deny that you made a digital signature since that would imply your private key had been compromised.

I found the above passage on this website. The simple past "indeed came" is used in the original. Would it also be correct to use the past perfect "had indeed come" in this case? As I see it, the coming of the submission is earlier in time than the checking of the signature.

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If I use the whole thing in the present tense:

If there's a submission from Alice, the associate editor handling her submission will use Alice's public key to check the signature to verify that the submission [indeed comes]/[has indeed come] from Alice and that it has not been modified since Alice sent it.

Do the tenses in bold work in this case?

EngLearner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Does this version with "came" work:

If there's a submission from Alice, the associate editor handling her submission will use Alice's public key to check the signature to verify that the submission indeed came from Alice and that it has not been modified since Alice sent it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm not sure what you mean by asking whether it 'works' but yes I can imagine someone using those tenses, if that's what you mean.