Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Instead, his mother checked him for a fever and pronounced him good to go to school, even if he couldn't talk.
http://files.havefunteaching.com/wo...ird-grade-reading-comprehension-worksheet.pdf

I have two questions about this sentence.

1. I wonder if an ‘enough’ is omitted after the word ‘good’.

2. In the English test paper of the Senior High School Examination 2020, Henan province, the sentence is rewritten as follows in order to avoid the difficult word “pronounce”.

Instead, his mother checked him for a fever and decided it was good for him to go to school, even if he couldn't talk.

I think the version above has changed the original meaning. What do you say?

The meaning is not changed though "pronounce" used in the original sentence is too formal.

Instead, his mother checked him for a fever and decided it was good for him to go to school, even if he couldn't talk.
I think the version above has changed the original meaning. What do you say?
Yes, you are correct.
In the original, "pronounced him good" means "considered/deemed him fit". In the second sentence, "good for him to go to school" suggests that he would benefit from attending (instead of missing) school.

Thanks, Teechar.

I wonder if it’s correct to put an “enough” after the word “good” like this.

...pronounced him good enough to go to school, even if he couldn't talk.

"Pronounced" is used only for official purposes I thought, as in a marriage ceremony where a pastor would pronounce a couple "husband and wife".

Last edited by a moderator:
"Pronounced" is used only for official purposes I thought, as in a marriage ceremony where a pastor would pronounce a couple "husband and wife".

The use here is medical. The mother is making an official pronouncement of the boy's wellness, as a doctor might.

I think for the second version in the OP, it will make good sense if the word “good” is replaced with “OK” like this. Do you agree?

Instead, his mother checked him for a fever and decided it was OK for him to go to school, even if he couldn't talk.

Hi, Emsr2d2.

I found this explanation for "good to go".
“Good to go” is an English idiomatic expression that means someone or something is ready for action, and no further delay is necessary.

According this exp;anation, "pronounced him good to go to school" means "pronounced him ready to go to school". Am I right?

As emsr2d2 pointed out, "good to go" is a set phrase, meaning "prepared and ready". "Okay" is not as positive to convey the same meaning.

What about "pronounced he had no problem to go to school" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back