Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What is the first topic that should be learnt in English grammar first for a beginner?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I remember the first chapter of Wren and Martin' s "High School English Grammar and Composition", the old-school prescribed text, deals with sentences. I think that is a logical topic to start with.

It can be downloadable free from [URL removed].

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please do not link to sites that offer downloads that may infringe copyright, even if the specific text is in public domain. Our site is based in the UK, where copyright laws are strict.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What is the first topic that should be learnt in English grammar first for a beginner?

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Sumit Dhawan:

I strongly suggest that a beginner completely understand the verb "to be" before moving on to other verbs.

Be sure that the beginner understands how to make affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences with "to be."

Failure to have total command of "to be" will lead to serious mistakes when the beginner moves on to affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences that involve other verbs.

Best wishes

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the best place to start is with learning how to identify, and to understand the structure of, simple noun phrases, and then simple verb phrases.

Once this is done, a focus on the components of sentences. To begin with: delineating subject from predicate. All with very simple models, of course.

To some extent, it does depend on the learner's first language (how similar structurally it is to English) and what he/she already knows (with respect to basic pronouns, conjugations of the verb be, etc.)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Before grammar, you can also start with vocabulary from the classroom and learning that will help them take their first steps.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sumit Dhawan, are you training to be an English teacher, or are you a student of English wondering which area of grammar you should concentrate on learning first?

Status
Not open for further replies.