Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
a. is fine. I've never heard 'sharp of hearing' but I suppose in context I'd understand what it means. Where did you see or hear that? From a native speaker?

Mnemon

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
a. is fine. I've never heard 'sharp of hearing' but I suppose in context I'd understand what it means. Where did you see or hear that? From a native speaker?

Thanks. I've never heard or seen b either. I made it up myself. If you've never heard that before, I suppose it's unidiomatic. So, if you were to convey the idea underneath, how would you do that?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks. I've never heard or seen b either. I made it up myself.

You made it up and then wondered whether it might just be something we naturally say? :shock: That was quite hopeful, wasn't it?

Rollercoaster1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Would it work 'He has a good ear'?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would it work 'He has a good ear'?

We have the set expression of 'he has a good ear for X'. However, it means that the person has an ability to pick X that the speaker approves of in some fashion.

Along the same idea, we say also say that someone has a good eye for X. It similarly means they have the ability to identify or pick instances of X that the speaker approves of in some fashion.

John has a good eye for bargains. (John is good at finding and recognizing potential bargains.)
John has a good eye for artwork. (I appreciate John's choices in art.)
John has a good ear for classical music. (I like his choices in classical music.)
John has a good ear for gossip. (John is good at hearing about the latest gossip.)

Both the ear and eye versions mean that the person is good at noticing or choosing a particular type of something. Neither refers to their actual visual or audial acuity.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would [STRIKE]it work[/STRIKE] 'He has a good ear' work?

Note the correct way to formulate a question.

"He has a good ear" doesn't mean that his hearing is good. It means he's good at picking up on specific things when he's listening to something. Here are a couple of examples:

Fred: I just listened to your daughter's choir singing at the church.
Helen: What did you think?
Fred: They're good but there's one guy at the back who's always just a little flat.
Helen: You've got a good ear! They've been trying to get rid of him for ages but he's one of the founder members so it's a bit difficult.

John: I saw you talking to my wife earlier. Did you get on?
Sarah: Yes, she's lovely. Is she Spanish?
John: You've got a very good ear. She's lived here since she was three and thinks she sounds like a native speaker but you must have spotted one of those tiny bits of remaining Spanish pronunciation!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Keen ear too.

Status
Not open for further replies.