...has been called a lot of things. Experimental. Risky. Bold. Impractical, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedks

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
What are your opinions about using singular adjective sentences? It is very common in a variety of journalism, probably to make an article sound more lively, and perhaps conversational.

It is obviously a more informal use of the language, but is it fair to call it incorrect? Are there rules which allow for this sentence structure?

Is the sentence below more correct? If so, do you think it reads as well? In my opinion, it does not carry the same amount of emphasis or 'oompf' as its original form.

...has been called a lot of things: experimental, risky, bold, even impractical.

Very interested to read people's thoughts.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
First of all I confess that I haven't a clue what a singular adjective sentence is.

Correctness, in my view, is more a continuum than a yes-or-no question. At one end are the prescriptivists who tend to believe in rules that must be followed. At the other extreme are the descriptivists (like me) who contend that anything commonly used by native speakers must be considered correct in suitable contexts. Of course there is always the question of register. Plenty of expressions are common in everyday chat but not appropriate in more formal situations.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What are your opinions about using singular adjective sentences?
I think your question might have received more response if you had phrased it as "What are your opinions about composing a sentence of nothing but a single adjective?" You could have then given again, as an example, the words you used as a subject: ... has been called a lot of things. Experimental, Risky, Bold. Impractical, even. Many people don't look back to the subject line once they have started reading a post.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You should drop this idea of being 'correct'. This is journalism. As a journalist, you can do what the hell you want. Your job is to express what you mean effectively, engagingly, clearly, convincingly, interestingly, humorously, etc. The way a writer chooses to punctuate her writing determines the way her readers read the text. It's up to the writer to decide that. That's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.