Have you ever thought about adopting some cute little dog?

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Dear teachers,

Usually "some" is used with count nouns in the plural or uncount nouns. However, we can also use it when we talk about an unknown person like in the following sentence: Some girl asked me for money.

What about the usage of "some" in the question below? The context is a dialogue set in Spain where lots of stray dogs are around. The person addressed is an elderly lady who has lived there for some months now.

-> Have you ever thought about adopting some cute little dog? (no matter what breed)

"a cute little dog" would of course be the best choice. The plural form "some cute dogs" is also fine, however, it would refer to more than one dog.
So, is the question above correct or odd?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The context is a dialogue set in Spain where lots of stray dogs are around.
That suggests that Spain has lots of stray dogs roaming around! :oops: Why is Spain important to the context?

Buddy42

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
That suggests that Spain has lots of stray dogs roaming around! :oops: Why is Spain important to the context?
Well, the idea behind it is that there are said to be so many dogs (in the South especially) without a home that you would have a great variety to "choose from".
But I'm happy to hear that the singular after some works here!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sadly, it's true that some Spanish areas have a lot of stray dogs - not as many as stray cats though! When I lived in Madrid, it was all I could do to resist scooping up stray cats and taking them home (sadly my fearsome landlady didn't allow pets and I'd probably have been evicted!)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, the idea behind it is that there are said to be so many dogs (in the South especially) without a home that you would have a great variety to "choose from".
But I'm happy to hear that the singular after some works here!
The singular is appropriate if you're suggesting that the person adopt just one dog. If you said "Have you ever thought about adopting some cute little dogs?", you would be suggesting that they adopt more than one dog.