Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"I'm sending you the package by mail. Please send me a confirmation that you have received it."

I think "have" is a must in the above sentence. Would you agree?

Thanks.

"I'm sending you the package by mail. Please send me a confirmation that you have received it."

I think "have" is a must in the above sentence. Would you agree?

Thanks.

Yes. The clause 'that you have received it' is a noun clause complementing the object ‘confirmation’

Yes. The clause 'that you have received it' is a noun clause complementing the object ‘confirmation’
Why did you say a noun clause?
Isn't it an adjective clause?
Please send me a confirmation (in which you write) that you have received it.

Why did you say a noun clause?
Isn't it an adjective clause?
Please send me a confirmation (in which you write) that you have received it.

Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’. It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:
You can call him a scoundrel.
The word "scoundrel" is an object complement
that describes the direct object "him
You can call him what you wish.
The noun clause "what you wish" can take the place
of "scoundrel" as object complement.

Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’. It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:

It does not explain anything, in my opinion. It bears no relevance to whitemoon's question, whatsoever. Sorry to say that.

Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’ (If "that" is a relative pronoun, there must be a noun which is referred to by "that". If it is a noun clause, "that" is called "noun clause marker".) It does the function of a noun and a noun can be an object complement, as explained below:

I have already known the funcitions of an object complement very well.

According to you explanation, there is no noun which is refered to by "what" before "what you wish". That shows "what you wish" is surely a noun clause.

However, in the sentence we're discussing, there is a noun (a confirmation) which is refered to by "that" before "that you have received it". That doesn't show "that you have received it" is surely a noun clause.

Noun clauses perform the same functions in the sentence which nouns do, I have already known, but I have never heard it can function as an objective complement.

Have a good time!

Because, “You have received it” is an independent clause

It is not an independent clause in the sentence, Sarat. 'that' is a subordinator in the sentence. But does it matter? Where do you want to get with this? Irrelevant.

Correct. For that matter,

“You have received it” is an independent clause introduced by the relative pronoun ‘that’.

is not correct. 'that' is not a relative pronoun. It has no antecedent; it is not relative to anything. 'that' is a complementizer. It introduces a clause that completes something.

Please send me a confirmation that you have received it.

'that you have received it' is a nominal clause functioning as a complement to 'confirmation'. An objective complement can be an adjective or a noun. We have a noun here.

'that you have received it' is a nominal clause functioning as a complement to 'confirmation'. An objective complement can be an adjective or a noun. We have a noun here.

You could have said this earlier. I agree, ‘that’ is not a relative pronoun but it is a conjunction/complementizer joining a noun clause complementing the object. There was no need to enter into iirrevalant discussion.

If I may continue this international debate, I would say, 1. "Please send me ("a" is not necessary because 'confirmation' is a non-count noun) confirmation when you receive it" OR 2. "Please send me confirmation when you have received it" OR 3. "Please send me confirmation that you received it". I prefer #2

If I may continue this international debate, I would say, 1. "Please send me ("a" is not necessary because 'confirmation' is a non-count noun) confirmation when you receive it" OR 2. "Please send me confirmation when you have received it" OR 3. "Please send me confirmation that you received it". I prefer #2

So "Please send me confirmation that you have received it" is ungrammatical?

Sorry. Yes, "that you have received it" is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Teacher

If you have a question about the English language and would like to ask one of our many English teachers and language experts, please click the button below to let us know:

(Requires Registration)
Back