Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
If I was searching for something and I didn't find it. So I would say to my friend I searched about it but I didn't find. or I've searched but haven't found it ? And what is the difference between them?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was searching for something and I didn't find it, [STRIKE]So I would[/STRIKE] should I say to my friend "I searched about it but I didn't find" or "I've searched but haven't found it"? And what is the difference between them?
For a start, "search about" doesn't work here. As for the choice of tense, it depends whether your actions have a present significance/importance. If so, use the present perfect (I've searched for it but haven't found it). Otherwise, use the past simple (I searched for it but didn't find it).

I am not a teacher.

I agree with teechar, but I would add that there are slightly different connotations with these two sentences.

'I've searched for it but haven't found it'- This implies that you will continue to look for it. The search is not yet over.
'I searched for it but didn't find it'- This implies that the search is over. You are done looking.

I am not a teacher.

I agree with teechar, but I would add that there are slightly different connotations with these two sentences.

'I've searched for it but haven't found it'- This implies that you will continue to look for it. The search is not yet over.

or the search may be just finished, correct?

Context determines meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back