Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
7) If something counts or is counted as a particular thing, it is regarded as being that thing, especially in particular circumstances or under particular rules.
Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary.

A small example:
He soon notices that what bears him up or throws him down is not that which he is but that which he counts as being: here is the origin of vanity.

(Human, All Too Human; The Wanderer and His Shadow; translated by R.J. Hollingdale)

"which he counts as being" - means (as far as I am concerned) "what others think him to be"/"what others think he is".

Does it mean that these two following sentences convey just the same meaning (and what is more important - excite the same 'feeling' - so we can't distinguish between the passive and the active meaning):

He counts as a hero.
He is counted as a hero.

Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Does it mean that these two following sentences convey just the same meaning (and what is more important - excite the same 'feeling' - so we can't distinguish between the passive and the active meaning):

He counts as a hero.
He is counted as a hero.
They can convey the same meaning. My feeling is that I can say the first if I consider him a hero, regardless of whether others do or not; the second implies that he is considered a hero by many people.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.