He has been playing/has played golf for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1) Joe is playing golf with his friends. He has been playing/has played golf for two years. He likes the sport very much.
Are there any other differences between “has been playing” and “has played” besides the aspect/tense?

2) At the restaurant, Joe said to his friend, “I have played/have been playing golf for two years. I like the sport very much.”
Are there any other differences between “have played” and “have been playing” besides the aspect/tense?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, yes. The aspect/tense difference is a grammatical difference. There are also of course differences of meaning and use.

When you teach any item of language, you should focus on the form (how to write and say it), the meaning (what it means), and the use (what you can do with it). Your example sentences should be written with only one of these two forms in mind, in order to reveal the meaning and use as clearly as possible. I don't agree with the way you're trying to force both tense/aspects into the same example frame, and then trying to tease out the meaning from that. That's not the right way of approaching this and I doubt it's helping you at all.

Can you give us a little background to your teaching, Alice? Whom do you teach? What training have you done? How long have you been doing it?

Alice Chu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I taught English in junior high school for eight years and was forced to retire from school because of poor health, but I have been teaching students aged from ten to twenty as an English tutor.
It is hard for me, not a native speaker, to understand the complicated grammar without a useful and correct grammar textbook. I have spent a lot of time and energy trying to figure out the use and meaning of present perfect and present perfect continuous when they indicate a shorter or longer duration of actions.

1) Joe is playing golf with his friends. He has been playing golf for two years. He likes the sport very much.
I think it means “playing golf” happens repeatedly in a long period of two years, and it is happening at the moment of speaking.
I don’t know why “has played” can be used here.

2) At the restaurant, Joe said to his friend, “I have played golf for two years. I like the sport very much.”
I think it means “playing golf” happens repeatedly in a long period of two years, and it is not happening at the moment of speaking.
I don’t know why “have been playing” can be used here.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1) Joe is playing golf with his friends. He has been playing golf for two years. He likes the sport very much.
I think it means “playing golf” happens repeatedly in a long period of two years, and it is happening at the moment of speaking.
I don’t know why “has played” can be used here.
It means the words I underlined only because you have stated that he is playing golf now. The second sentence on its own does not necessarily mean that.
2) At the restaurant, Joe said to his friend, “I have played golf for two years. I like the sport very much.”
I think it means “playing golf” happens repeatedly in a long period of two years, and it is not happening at the moment of speaking.
It means the words I underlined only because you have stated that he is at the restaurant now. The second sentence on its own does not necessarily mean that.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In both cases, the present perfect continuous tells us that an action has occurred repeatedly in the past and continues to do so in the present. It does not mean that the action is currently occurring.

Status
Not open for further replies.