Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

Imagine a woman has married a handsome man. Can she jokingly refer to him as her "conquest"?

Is this correct and natural?

She took David to the party to show off her latest conquest [David] to her discerning friends.

I doubt her friends were particularly discerning. Otherwise, your use of conquest is correct.

Does she expect to get married often?

Without the context you provided, I would take it to mean he was simply her latest sexual conquest, not necessarily a husband.

And with the context, it sounds like she has the habit of persuading men to marry her. He's the most recent one, but we anticipate many more.

And with the context, it sounds like she has the habit of persuading men to marry her. He's the most recent one, but we anticipate many more.
I don't read marriage into it. Far from it! She's a heartbreaker, not a serial monogamist.

That's why I doubt her friends are discerning. If they were, they wouldn't be her friends.

I don't read marriage into it. Far from it! She's a heartbreaker, not a serial monogamist.

That's why I doubt her friends are discerning. If they were, they wouldn't be her friends.
The text says she's "married a handsome man". :)

The text says she's "married a handsome man". :)
Good point, thanks. It's confusing. It's hard to justify calling a husband a latest conquest, but taking it at face value, I take it to mean that, to her, marriage isn't a permanent or exclusive arrangement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back