Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
I apologize in advance in case this sentence sounds X-rated.

He lowered his hand and gripped/clutched/clasped/squeezed her thigh.

What is the difference between those verbs?

What differences have you found for yourself in OneLook.com?

What differences have you found for yourself in OneLook.com?

I have been trying for two days to figure out the difference.

Edit: On second thought, I think that 'clutch' sounds negative and 'squeeze' has a creepy connotation, so I'm between 'gripped' and 'clasped'. Any help?

Last edited:
They'd probably all feel the same to the woman.

They'd probably all feel the same to the woman.

You mean 'good' same or 'bad' same? As I said, this sentence isn't meant to sound creepy.

The words have different meanings. It'll save our time if you tell us much more about what you mean. Why did he do it? What effect did he want to have on the woman? How strongly or softly did he do it? For how long?

The words have different meanings. It'll save our time if you tell us much more about what you mean. Why did he do it? What effect did he want to have on the woman? How strongly or softly did he do it? For how long?

It is an X-rated situation. Do I have permission to elaborate?

It is an X-rated situation. Do I have permission to elaborate?

I don't think there's any need to elaborate. You've already said that you've whittled it down to "gripped" or "clasped". Gripping is fairly tight and clasping doesn't really fit with a thigh (don't ask me to explain why because I can't!) Does that help?

I find it rather odd that in post #1 you apologised in case the sentence sounded X-rated, suggesting that you were trying to avoid anything X-rated, but have gone on to tell us that you are in fact trying to describe exactly that kind of situation. In future, please tell us in post #1 if you are actually trying to write something rude/offensive/carnal/erotic.

I have moved this thread to the Editing and Writing Topics because this appears to be your own writing.

I don't think there's any need to elaborate. You've already said that you've whittled it down to "gripped" or "clasped". Gripping is fairly tight and clasping doesn't really fit with a thigh (don't ask me to explain why because I can't!) Does that help?

So what is left for me to use?

Edit: I don't need to go into X-rated details to make it clear what I want. I want to describe something passionate but consensual. 'Groped', 'fondled' and 'squeezed' sound too creepy. 'Clutched' sounds too negative. 'Gripped' sounds too tight. 'Clasped', according to what you said, is unsuitable. So what verb do I put there? Don't you just love this language? :loling:

Last edited:
Well, "squeezed" might work.

There can be varying degrees of pressure with a squeeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back