Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

I started a new thread because the topic is not the same. Isn't it better to use "they" instead of "he" or "she" and when I have two sentences with "this" and "it" which should I use first?

1. "If a member of my family was diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be better to tell him or her about *this*. He has a right to know about *it*."
I think the second sentence is better.
2. "If a member of my family is diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be better to tell them about *it/that.*They have a right to know about *this.*
I didn't use "this" in the second example's first sentence because I used it in the sentence that follows it."
I am sorry I cannot use bold or italics.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you insist on using that form then I suggest that you use it.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only "it" works in both sentences.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And "they" is better than using "he" or "she", isn't it?
You mean "them", right? I prefer it over "him or her", but some people don't accept "them" as a singular pronoun. They would presumably prefer "him or her" or, more likely, would advise you to rewrite the sentence to avoid the problem.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
You mean "them", right? I prefer it over "him or her", but some people don't accept "them" as a singular pronoun. They would presumably prefer "him or her" or, more likely, would advise you to rewrite the sentence to avoid the problem.

Yes, sorry. I meant "them". The difference between "it/this/that" is the hardest one. Sometimes all the three are correct sometimes not.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, sorry. I meant "them". The difference between "it/this/that" is the hardest one. Sometimes all [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] three are correct, sometimes not.

:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We say:

all three

Not:

all the three

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the following version correct?

Sometimes all three are correct, and sometimes not.

Yes, there are times when all three are possible. (Not at the same time, of course. :) )

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Students and learners can be advised to confidently use 'they' rather than 'he or she', and 'them' instead of 'him or her'. It's just fine in modern English, and those who don't like it can find their own solution as it's their own problem.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I started a new thread because the topic is not the same. Isn't it better to use "they" instead of "he" or "she"?

Do you mean in examples 2 and 3 below?

And when I have two sentences with "this" and "it" which should I use first?

It depends on the sentence.

1. "If a member of my family were diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be good to tell him or her about it. People have a right to know [STRIKE]about *it*[/STRIKE]."

The sentences were too repetitious, so I changed the second one.

2. "If a member of my family is diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be good to tell him or her about it. People have a right to know. [STRIKE]about *this.*[/STRIKE]

I didn't use "this" in the second example's first sentence because I used it in the sentence that follows it."

It didn't belong in either sentence.

Thanks for telling us. Now I know and won't mention it again!
Sometimes it's hard to accept that English has a lot of gray areas. Your struggle with it, this, and that is an excellent example.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Students and learners can be advised to confidently use 'they' rather than 'he or she', and 'them' instead of 'him or her'. It's just fine in modern English, and those who don't like it can find their own solution as it's their own problem.
Exactly. My own policy: When it's easy to rephrase, I do. When it's not, I use they.

I figure, what the hell, my dad's not listening.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello.

I started a new thread because the topic is not the same. Isn't it better to use "they" instead of "he" or "she" and when I have two sentences with "this" and "it" which should I use first?

1. "If a member of my family was diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be better to tell him or her about *this*. He has a right to know about *it*."
2. "If a member of my family is diagnosed with cancer, I think it would be better to tell them about *it/that.*They have a right to know about *this.*
Use them or him or her or her and him. Don't use just him unless you only mean males. Good English is gender-neutral.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And "they" is better than using "he" or "she", isn't it?

I think so- others disagree, but I think using he has an obvious flaw and typing out he or she endlessly is a waste of life. Also, once you start on he or she, you have to be consistent- when people using one, they often don't manage to use it correctly throughout a text.

Status
Not open for further replies.