He will stay with his parents for a month ...

Vladv1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I know that Future Continuous can refer to future events that we see as temporary. For example, "He'll be staying with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery". I have two questions

1. Would it be correct to say "He will stay with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery". What is the diffrence between the two?

2. Can Future Continuous be used with two or more consecutive actions? For example,"He'll be staying with his parens for a month and then he will be visiting his sister. Would it be correct to say " He'll be staying with his parens for a month and then he will visit his sister. What's the difference?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1. Would it be correct to say "He will stay with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery"?
Yes, it would.
What is the difference between the two?
No real difference, except that the continuous highlights an action of some duration.
2. Can the future continuous be used with two or more consecutive actions? For example,"He'll be staying with his parents for a month and then he will be visiting his sister.
Yes, that's possible.
Would it be correct to say "He'll be staying with his parents for a month and then he will visit his sister"? What's the difference?
See above. Here, the contrast between the continuous (staying) and the simple (visit) might be used to indicate that the latter is of a shorter duration.
Note the correct spelling of "parents". You misspelled it twice in your post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know that the future continuous can refer to future events that we see as temporary. For example, "He'll be staying with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery". I have two questions:

1. Would it be correct to say "He will stay with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery"? What is the difference between the two?

2. Can the future continuous be used with two or more consecutive actions? For example,"He'll be staying with his parents for a month and then he will be visiting his sister". Would it be correct to say "He'll be staying with his parents for a month and then he will visit his sister"? What's the difference?
Note my corrections above (some of which teechar already pointed out).

We don't capitalise the names of tenses.
You misspelled "difference" once and "parents" twice. I suggest you install an English spellchecker on your browser. It will pick up these basic errors.
Don't put a space after opening quotation marks.
Remember to end questions with a question mark.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I know that Future Continuous can refer to future events that we see as temporary.

Yes. The continuous aspect (-ing) can and often does carry a sense that an action is of limited duration. This is unaffected by tense—it applies equally to the past continuous and present continuous as well as the future continuous.

For example, "He'll be staying with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery".

Where did you get this sentence from?

I have two questions 1. Would it be correct to say "He will stay with his parents for a month while his dad's in recovery".

Correct? What do you mean? Correct in what way? If you remove the continuous aspect from the sentence, you're losing something. Why would you want to lose something? Do you not think the speaker had a good reason to use the continuous aspect? Don't change things that native speakers have said.

Look, here's some advice about learning tense/aspect systems: First and foremost, focus on the uses rather than the meanings. Find good examples with sufficient context and think about what the speaker is trying to do.

Regarding the sentence in post #1, it seems to me that this particular use of the future continuous is to report on a fixed schedule that has been organised by a third party. However, there's not enough context to see that clearly so it's not a great example.

What is the diffrence between the two?

The main difference is that it seems you've made up the second sentence without really knowing what you mean, and you've chosen a particular aspect without having a reason to do so. Don't make up your own sentences. Find real authentic sentences with plenty of context for you to see both the meaning and the particular use that's being employed. Alternatively, ask a teacher to create some example contexts for you.

2. Can Future Continuous be used with two or more consecutive actions? For example,"He'll be staying with his parens for a month and then he will be visiting his sister.

Yes.

Would it be correct to say " He'll be staying with his parens for a month and then he will visit his sister. What's the difference?

Don't ask whether it's correct. That's not a good question. Also, as I said, don't make up your own sentences when you don't know what they mean.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Don't ask whether it's correct. That's not a good question. Also, as I said, don't make up your own sentences when you don't know what they mean.
I don't agree with that.
1- Members often come across a sentence and want to know whether it's okay.
2- I see nothing wrong with a learner trying to forge a sentence even if they're not entirely sure it conveys the meaning they have in mind. Also, a sentence might form in their head (based around new vocabulary they've acquired) and they may want to know/confirm its meaning.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't agree with that.
1- Members often come across a sentence and want to know whether it's okay.

Yes, but in this case the learner didn't come across a sentence. They made it up, which is exactly my point.

2- I see nothing wrong with a learner trying to forge a sentence even if they're not entirely sure it conveys the meaning they have in mind. Also, a sentence might form in their head (based around new vocabulary they've acquired) and they may want to know/confirm its meaning.

Okay. It's fine to disagree.

Just to clarify what I'm saying: With production, you start with the thought, and the language that is produced will depend on and express the thought. With reception, you start with the language, and the thought is interpreted therefrom.

When we native speakers speak, the particular tense/aspect that we select is determined by how we view the actions/states/processes that we have in mind. Since this is done almost entirely unconsciously, it's arguably impossible to provide any rules for learners to use. I think the only sensible way to deal with this as a teacher is to work backwards as it were—you give the learner lots of authentic well-contextualised examples and explain what the speaker means and what she's trying to do with the sentence. The simple idea is that enough intelligible input of model language will lead to acquisition.

I think the problem with the test-and-confirm approach is that we teachers don't often know what meaning the learner has in mind and the learner is unable to tell us. Since the sentence is necessarily unnatural (coming from a non-native), it creates all kind of problems. Learners typically make tense/aspect choices based on inaccurate and unhelpful rules they've learnt at school, and based on translation from their first language.

I wonder what your view is, @teechar? Talking specifically about tense/aspect choices. I'm genuinely deeply interested and invested in this question as I hope you can imagine.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I think the problem with the test-and-confirm approach is that we teachers don't often know what meaning the learner has in mind and the learner is unable to tell us.
Yes, that can and does sometimes happen. However, I think the important thing for me as a teacher is to encourage learners to ask questions, even about sentences they make up. I get to engage them that way as active participants in the learning experience.
Learners typically make tense/aspect choices based on inaccurate and unhelpful rules they've learnt at school, and based on translation from their first language.
Indeed, which again is why I welcome all kinds of question from my students. I think even here on this forum, I've noticed that as learners improve, the quality and focus (scope) of their questions become more accurate and meaningful.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've noticed that as learners improve, the quality and focus (scope) of their questions become more accurate and meaningful.

Yes, I agree very much with this. This is what we really hope to see. Right. (y)