hectic [LME] This came via late Latin from Greek ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From Oxford Dictionary of Word Origins]
txZWJ2L.jpg

---
hectic [LME] This came via late Latin from Greek hektikos ‘habitual’. The original sense was ‘symptomatic of one’s physical condition’ associated frequently with the symptoms of tuberculosis (known as hectic fever). This led in the early 20th century to the sense ‘characterized by feverish activity’.

hell [OE] Hell descends from an ancient Indo-European root with the sense ‘to cover, hide’ which also gave rise to Latin celare (root of conceal [ME] and occult [LME]) and to English hole (see hold), helmet [LME], and heel ‘to set a plant in the ground and cover its roots’. This was originally unconnected with the Old English word for the part of the foot, but rather came from helian ‘cover’.

help [OE] Old English help lies behind helpmate. This is found in the late 17th century as helpmeet, which comes from Genesis 2:18, where Eve is described as ‘an help meet for’ Adam. ‘Meet’ means suitable, but as the word became more obscure in the early 18th century it was changed to 'mate'.

hesitate [E17th] This comes from Latin haesitare ‘to stick fast, leave undecided’, from haerere ‘to stick, stay’.
---
It is very hard to tell why some are in the present tense while one of them in the past tense. o_O

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In the first example, "come" means "appear" and describes how the word ended up in English, which happened in the past.

"Come from", "decsend from" and "lie behind" are phrasal verbs meaning "originate" and "be the explanation for" respectively.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
e0kP6oZ.jpg

I just found this one. Compare it to hectic in post #1. Now it is clear:

dynasty [LME] Dynasty comes via late Latin from Greek dunasteia ‘lordship, power’.

hectic [LME] This came via late Latin from Greek hektikos ‘habitual’. [...]
----
The editor failed to unify the form. :(

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Come from", "descsend from" and "lie behind" are phrasal verbs meaning "originate" and "be the explanation for" respectively.
I see no reason to think of these combinations as 'phrasal verbs'.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Why, in dictionaries they go as phrasal verbs.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
A phrasal verb is usually a combination of "verb+preposition" which has a meaning different from the literal meanings of the verb and the preposition.
"Come from" and "lie behind" could be used as regular verbs and prepositions with literal meanings, but it's not the case in the OP.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"Come from", "descend from" and "lie behind" are phrasal verbs meaning "originate" and "be the explanation for" respectively.
Well, I can find them here, so I'm fine with them being 'phrasal verbs': :)
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/descend-from
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/come-from
https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/lie-behind

[Update]
I think that "lie behind" can be a phrasal verb, but its meaning as a phrasal verb doesn't seem to fit into my quoted text. I suppose that "lie behind" in my quoted text simply means "come from" or "descend from". 😅

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.