[Idiom] Here you are! (The beer you ordered is ready.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In the following conversation, I am wondering what is omitted in speaker B' answer.

A: I want a beer.
B: Here you are!

In comparison, speaker B is logical in the following conversation.

A: Where is my beer.
B: Here it is! (Inversed, "it" denotes "my beer.")

Inase

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you mean by "omitted"?

We commonly say Here you are when we hand something to somebody.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
What do you mean by "omitted"?

We commonly say Here you are when we hand something to somebody.

I mean what you ordered is a "beer" not "you." In a complete sentence, is it like "Here you are (now with the beer you ordered)"?

Inase

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just like jutfrank said, we use "here you are" when we give a beer or anything to someone. Don't worry about whether the phrase is logical. It's sort of like idioms which more often than not don't make much sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here you are or here you go are common ways to say "here is the thing you wanted."

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Just like the proverb goes, there is no fire without smoke, there must a reason to say so. I understand that you say so because you say so and I worry too much but could anyone tell me why people say "here you are (go)" instead of "here it is" when they give a beer or something to somebody?

Inase

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In a complete sentence, is it like "Here you are (now with the beer you ordered)"?

I suppose that's as good a way as any to understand it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's nothing omitted in the first. The second may work better when the beer was served a while ago, but for a freshly drawn beer the first works better for me.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There's nothing omitted in the first. The second may work better when the beer was served a while ago, but for a freshly drawn beer the first works better for me.
I think I got it, which may be wrong or a bit closer.
The person (A) who has the beer ordered has been looking for the person (B) who had ordered it for a very short (0.2 sec) while because A might have turned his/her attention away from B while preparing the beer, and in less than a second (0.3 sec), A finds B, uttering a little surprise and a joy of serving B, "Here you are!" I think it originates from a kind of exclamation of recognizing B's location?

Inase

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found some useful information for you. Take a look:

https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/17760/how-do-i-parse-the-sentence-here-you-are

A quote from this person Malik "For example, let's say you are my neighbor and asked me for a drill. I went to look and found one somewhere in my store room. I then go to find you to hand it over. To draw your attention, I say, "Ah, here you are! [And so here is your drilling machine]."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The person (A) who has the beer ordered has been looking for the person (B) who had ordered it for a very short (0.2 sec) while because A might have turned his/her attention away from B while preparing the beer, and in less than a second (0.3 sec), A finds B, uttering a little surprise and a joy of serving B, "Here you are!" I think it originates from a kind of exclamation of recognizing B's location?

Inase

No! It has nothing to do with spotting the person who ordered the beer! In a different context, it is possible to use "Aha! Here/There you are!" when you finally spot someone you've been looking for but that has nothing to do with the context in post #1.

As we've already said, it is standard, common and natural to say "Here/There you are/go" when handing something to someone else. In all honesty, I have absolutely no idea why we do it but we do.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The person (A) who has the beer ordered has been looking for the person (B) who had ordered it for a very short (0.2 sec) while because A might have turned his/her attention away from B while preparing the beer, and in less than a second (0.3 sec), A finds B, uttering a little surprise and a joy of serving B, "Here you are!" I think it originates from a kind of exclamation of recognizing B's location. (This is a declarative sentence so it should not end with a question mark.)
I find it's often helpful to think of an explanation, no matter how farfetched, for an idiom or usage I have trouble remembering in a foreign language. If your explanation helps you remember the expression Here you are! in this context, by all means use it. However, I think it's highly unlikely the expression really originated that way.

Note that the usual expression we use when we find someone we've been looking for is There you are! Yet again I find myself moved to apologize for an inexplicable English usage. This one is not my fault. :)

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
inase, it won't be helpful for you to understand the phrase by parsing how many seconds have passed since the person B ordered the beer. The phrase doesn't depend on time. It's more of a way to get the person's attention when you hand them something.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't say it's even about attracting their attention. Both parties could have been concentrating 100% on each other and the barman would still say "Here you are" when putting the beer on the bar. It's just something to say. In some instances, it probably just avoids an awkward silence.

I work part-time in a shop and when I hand a customer their change or receipt, I usually accompany it with "There you go" or something similar. I'm not making any attempt to get their attention. It's almost an unconscious statement!

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you all for your responses. I've found two things.
1. Right or wrong, the phrase "here you are (served)!" spoken by a servant in slavery days could be the origin.
2. It is usually just a void or nominal utterance of the beer server to break the short silence. It is just like hearing a Japanese waiter say "I have kept you waiting!" with a beer ordered in a restaurant even when it is served in less than a minute.

Inase

andrewg927

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Right or wrong, the phrase "here you are (served)!" spoken by a servant in slavery days could be the origin. Where did you find this?
2. It is usually just a void or nominal utterance of the beer server to break the short silence. The phrase is not just used by beer servers, just so you know.

Inase

Above.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Right or wrong, the phrase "here you are (served)!" spoken by a servant in slavery days could be the origin.
That is highly unlikely.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am over fifty and have never heard the phrase used with served.

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I found an example of "here you are" used just to attract the listener's attention as in the following example. It seems to me that it is an example of a linguistic "dead letter" after a long use.

1. You say you want to buy a car, but, here you are, you’ve still not got enough money.

Inase

inase

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
1. Right or wrong, the phrase "here you are (served)!" spoken by a servant in slavery days could be the origin. Where did you find this?
Above.

I think I took it wrong from the text (formula) below following the link you provided.

Here you are
A shortened formula. And parsing - to determine the word classes and word groups, as I understand it, won't help you at all.
The full formula must have been: Here you are served. I would interpret this formula as Look here, you are served. Imagine a female servant placing a dish on her master's table.

Status
Not open for further replies.