He's a kind and understandable employer, caring for his workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
He's a kind and understandable employer, caring for his workers. Written by a non-native English speaker.

Is the word 'understandable' used here correctly? I'd expect their attitude to the workers or work (or something like this) being understandable, their fears, reactions, etc. But can someone be understandable?

Maybe the writer meant 'understanding'?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Teechar, I didn't understand at first why you made the end of the word 'understanding' red (I had written the 'g' as well), but now I guess you meant that I shouldn't have used a question mark. Do you think it's inappropriate here?

I'm not sure if it's correct to say 'make red'. What is the correct way to express the idea?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
He cares for his workers.
Can you say, "he is caring for his workers"? Is the preposition correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
He cares for his workers.
Can you say, "he is caring for his workers"? Is the preposition correct?

I think maybe the writer wants to say He is caring towards his staff, which means he has a caring attitude.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I think maybe the writer wants to say He is caring towards his staff, which means he has a caring attitude.
Is it a mistake to use 'for' in this context? Or is 'towards' better, but 'for' still acceptable?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Is it a mistake to use 'for' in this context? Or is 'towards' better, but 'for' still acceptable?
The meaning is significantly different. Caring for people means taking care of them medically or in other intimate ways. It's not appropriate for the relationship between employers and employees.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Teechar, I didn't understand at first why you made the end of the word 'understanding' red (I had written the 'g' as well), but now I guess you meant that I shouldn't have used a question mark. Do you think it's inappropriate here?
Yes, that's right. The question mark is wrong. I highlighted that "g" to make the quote mark and the full stop stand out.

I'm not sure if it's correct to say 'make something red'. What is the correct way to express the idea?
You can say highlighted/wrote something in red.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Yes, that's right. The question mark is wrong.
Still in the hope that the question mark maybe isn't that much wrong. :) No, seriously! That sentence does have the positive structure, but the intonation is interrogative, isn't it? If I change the mark, the intonation will change, too. Should I change the overall structure of the sentence to make it a question?

I think I've seen such semi-interrogative sentences before, but I'm not sure if they are regarded as at least half-correct :).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe the writer meant 'understanding'?

Still in the hope that the question mark maybe isn't that much wrong. :) No, seriously! That sentence does have the positive structure, but the intonation is interrogative, isn't it? If I change the mark, the intonation will change, too. Should I change the overall structure of the sentence to make it a question?

I think I've seen such semi-interrogative sentences before, but I'm not sure if they are regarded as at least half-correct :).
Many native speakers write such sentences every day. You shouldn't use them in formal writing but they're fine elsewhere.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That sentence does have the positive structure, but the intonation is interrogative, isn't it? If I change the mark, the intonation will change, too. Should I change the overall structure of the sentence to make it a question?

That's right. Question marks, like all punctuation marks, are there to show how you would pronounce what you write—they're not only for grammatical interrogatives. But sometimes using the declarative form as a question can be perceived as bad, or lazy style. If in doubt, change the structure of the sentence.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thanks, Teechar. Thanks, GS. I'll be aware of this.
I've looked at my posts again, and I think they are pretty far from formal style. :) Maybe there is no reason to change that question mark then?

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
If in doubt, change the structure of the sentence.
I just have no idea how to change it the way it wouldn't sound unnatural.

It's just come to mind that it may sound natural only for me here. As you can see, I'm always in doubt. :-D

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I just have no idea how to change it the way it wouldn't sound unnatural.

It's just come to mind that it may sound natural only for me here. Yes, I'm always in doubt. :-D

I think it's absolutely fine in your sentence. You don't need to change it.

But if you did change it, you could ask Do you think the writer meant 'understandable'?

Status
Not open for further replies.