Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I read the sentence "He's not so much classically handsome as cute" in my notebook; I've been going over notes in my notebooks. I remember I wrote it down in 2012.

My questions are:

a) What does "classically handsome" mean? I guess it means "handsome in a classical way". But what does it mean then?
b) Does this sentence mean that "Better to say that he's cute than handsome?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are some looks that are generally agreed to be handsome.

Attractiveness is somewhat subjective, but some people have looks that pretty much everybody would agree makes them attractive.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think "classically handsome" is a strange collocation. The word "classic/classical" has a few meanings (exemplary/outstanding/typical) which I don't know which go with "handsome".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "classically handsome" is a strange collocation. The word "classic/classical" has a few meanings (exemplary/outstanding/typical) which I don't know which go with "handsome".
It might be one of those collocations you just have to have grown up with. In the UK, I'm very used to hearing "He's classically handsome" and "She's classically beautiful".
The phrases commonly refer back to actors/actresses from the past. Think of Clark Gable, Hedy Lamarr, Ingrid Bergman, Tony Curtis etc.

Bear in mind, too, that many people now refrain from commenting on the attractiveness of others. It's seen as shallow and quite un-PC.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Silverobama I should have added in my last post that those people exemplify classic attractiveness to Western eyes. I'm sure there are similar people in China who fit the bill for Chinese people.