British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. He is too old to drink.

2. He is so old to drink.

I wonder if sentence 2 is grammatical.

#2 is unnatural. #1 is illogical. It's possible to be too young to drink (legally) but as far as I know no country has a legal policy on people not being allowed to drink after a certain age.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe it's not talking about the law, but just general health.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still think that's illogical. I don't think you're ever too old to drink alcohol!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree that the older you get, probably the less you should drink and alcohol has more/different effects on you. However, I still don't think even doctors would say "You are too old to drink at all​" which is what the original sentence implied.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree that the older you get, probably the less you should drink
Balderdash
Poppycock
Claptrap
Hogwash
Baloney
Humbug
Drivel
Sphericals
etc

Not an abstainer

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The site you linked us to contains such absurdities as:

The National Institutes of Health site says that people over 65 shouldn’t consume more than seven drinks in a week, and that they should have no more than three drinks on a given day.

The writers of that clearly have serious problems with the English language. The first underlined word should read 'morning', and the second 'hour'. Even with these corrections, the NIH people are a little draconian in their advice.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The site you linked us to contains such absurities as:

The National Institutes of Health site says that people over 65 shouldn’t consume more than seven drinks in a week, and that they should have no more than three drinks on a given day.

The writers of that clearly have serious problems with the English language. The first underlined word should read 'morning', and the second 'hour'. Even with these corrections, the NIH people are a little draconian in their advice.

Remember, you sent all the puritans over here. (And we put them to work in professional hectoring.)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The site you linked us to contains such absurities as:

I'll drink to that! :up:

Veggie

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Maybe the asker just wondered the difference between "too" and "so"? Why discuss about whether drinking at an old age is possible or not, instead of saying if it is grammatically right or wrong? (Not logically, grammatically. Because the asker can think if it's ok to drink at an old age or not in her/his own language.)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Maybe the asker just wondered the difference between "too" and "so"? Why discuss about whether drinking at an old age is possible or not, instead of saying if it is grammatically right or wrong? (Not logically, grammatically. Because the asker can think if it's ok to drink at an old age or not in her/his own language.)
Have you any more little doubts about the way we respond to questions?

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
Balderdash
Poppycock
Claptrap
Hogwash
Baloney
Humbug
Drivel
Sphericals

Is this a list of your drinking mates?

Mine's a double! (This could be my last tipple before I hit the age limit.)

TomUK

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I answered the difference between "too" and "so" in this context in my very first response - post #2. We have then gone on, as we frequently do, to discuss the contents of the OP's question and link. These discussions can be very informative and useful and, of course, they give learners a chance to see a discussion between native speakers using the language we use on a day-to-day basis. We always endeavour to answer the question first and then, sometimes, we continue the discussion.

The asker can ask what they like in their own language. He/she chose to ask a language question here. In addition the discussion over whether or not "too old to drink" makes sense is helpful from a language basis. We have said that "He is too old to drink" is grammatically correct. However, the OP should know that if they make such a statement in an English-speaking country, they may well be met with the same kind of reaction they got here, ie "What do you mean "too old to drink"? What a ridiculous notion."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Do you think that correct grammar excuses a lack of logic? What would you say if a student asked about the sentence "Colorless green ideas sleep furiously"?[h=1][/h]

Status
Not open for further replies.