His name begins with a K (the use of articles and quotation marks with letters)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello! Would you please help me clarify the use of the indefinite article and quotation marks with letters in sentences like ''His name begins with A/B...Z"? Let's put aside the variant ''with the letter A/B...''

I've found all possible combinations on the Internet:
a) without the indefinite article and quotation marks
b) with 'a/an' and ''
c) with '' but without 'a/an'
d) with 'a/an' but without '' (The sentence in the title I found here: http://masteringarticles.com/indefinite-article-with-letters/)

Which one(s) is(are) the most appropriate?

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's just talk about Karl and Annie.

These are natural in American English:

- Karl's name begins with K.

- Karl's name begins with a K.

- Annie's name begins with A.

- Annie's name begins with an A.​

These are not:

- Karl's name begins with the K.

- Annie's name begins with the A.​

Us quotation marks to mark quotations:

- "My name starts with K," Karl said.

- "Is that Annie with an A?" Karl asked.​

Last edited:

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Use quotation marks to mark quotations

I've found the following examples:

1) My last name starts with an "F," contains three "R's" and is hyphenated with my husband's last name that begins with a "B". (Huffington Post)
2) Your name starts with a 'Y' so you must think of that word. (The Economist)

Are they incorrect?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've found the following examples:

1) My last name starts with an "F," contains three "R's" and is hyphenated with my husband's last name that begins with a "B". (Huffington Post)
2) Your name starts with a 'Y' so you must think of that word. (The Economist)

Are they incorrect?
No. I see no need for the quotation marks, but some publications' editors prefer to use them.

I don't recommend using an apostrophe in the plural as the Huntington Post does.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't recommend using an apostrophe in the plural as the Huntington Post does.

What do you think of the comma within the quotation marks: My last name starts with an "F,"?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you think of the comma within the quotation marks: My last name starts with an "F,"?
The comma is correct. I like Oxford commas in series of three or more. So I'd write it:

My last name starts with an F, contains three Rs, and is hyphenated with my husband's last name, which begins with a B. (Huffington Post)

(Saying "my husband's name that begins with an F" would mean that the husband has more than one last name.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's there because the Huntington Post is following the common American rule for where to place commas with respect to quotation marks. The rule is simple but illogical: always put commas inside the quotation.

I gave that up many years ago in favor of the British, or logical rule.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The comma is correct. I like Oxford commas in series of three or more

I meant the fact the comma was placed within the quotation marks. Would it be correct to put the comma after them: "F",? (I'm not sure if the second pair of QMs is necessary after the colon: Would it be correct to put the comma after them: ""F","?)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant the fact the comma was placed within the quotation marks. 1.Would it be correct to put the comma after them: "F",? 2. (I'm not sure if the second pair of QM is necessary after the colon: Would it be correct to put it after them: ""F","?)
1. British editors, and many American ones, would put the comma outside the quotation mark.

2. It's never correct to use two successive quotation marks of the same kind. You have to alternate between double and single quotes. American publishers always start with double quotes; British ones adhere to a house style. Your sentence should be written like this for American and double-quote style British publishers:

Would it be correct to put it after them: "'F',"?

… or like this for more traditionalist British publishers:

Would it be correct to put it after them: '"F",'?

I'd write the question a little differently, though.

Would it be correct to put it after them, like this? "F",

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant the fact the comma was placed within the quotation marks. Would it be correct to put the comma after them: "F",? (I'm not sure if the second pair of QM is necessary after the colon: Would it be correct to put it after them: ""F","?)
Oh!

As Goes says, in the US, we put commas and periods inside the quotation no matter what.

I've read that it comes from the days before photo-offset printing was invented. To make a printed page, typesetters used to use put little pieces of lead with letters and punctuation marks on them into big wooden frames.

One problem was that some pieces of type would often get broken or fall out. For some reason, putting a period or comma outside the quotation mark was a weak point. To fix it, American typesetters simply put the commas and periods inside.

The problem is gone, but the custom remains.

old-lead-type-for-letterpress-printing-CR0FYT.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.