Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to express " the business owners' perceived success of the business" in the last part. Do I have to say "his or her" in front of "perceived success"? If not, is it okay for me to say "his or her" in front of "perceived success"? Is the use of "what type of leadership" right? Is the use of "lead to" right?

Although previous research have examined the impact of leadership style and managemenent skills in the business owner on small business success, there has been little research examining what type of leadership or leadership behavior and management skills in the business owner has lead to his or her perceived success of the business and the underlying themes and contexts that account for his or her perceived success of the business

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The grammar seems okay but your meaning is not clear. Do you mean perceived success versus actual success?

This would be better as at least two sentences and it's quite wordy.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I would use "business owners" and "their". This has the added virtue of being closer to the truth because it's business owners that were studied, and the not "the business owner".
It should also be, "Although previous research has examined ..."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It should read "has led" not "has lead".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And previous research has examined.

eunkum

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your responses. They are helpful. Is the following right, then? The purpose of the study is to fill the gap by examining 1) what type of leadership or leadership behavior has led to business owners' perceived success of the business?, 2) what type of management skills in business owners has led to their perceived success of the business?, and 3) what are the underlying themes and contexts that account for business owners’ perceived success of the business?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know how you can say that a skill leads to a perception.

Are you sure you are using "perceived" correctly?

Again, are you comparing their perception of their success with externally quantifiable metrics? And you are showing what behaviors lead to this perception? That does not make sense!

eunkum

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I mean, a skill and behavior lead to the success that is perceived by business owners. In this case, does the above sentence make sense? Or How about the following sentence?

The purpose of the study is to fill the gap by examining 1) what type of leadership or leadership behavior has led to the success of the business perceived by business owners'?, 2) what type of management skills in business owners has led to the success of the business perceived by them?, and 3) what are the underlying themes and contexts that account for the success of the business perceived by them?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Someone else needs to answer you. I still don't understand what you mean by the business owner's "perceived success." Either they made money or they didn't. Either they gained market share or they didn't. Either they enjoyed a good reputation and had repeat business from their customers, or they didn't.

What is the "perception of success" here?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Perceived success suggests to me that they could regard themselves as successful when they might not be- it's a perception, not a fact. Do you mean What type of leadership or leadership behaviour is seen by the owners as leading to the success of the business?

eunkum

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. I think that would be good. Then, are the following research questions okay (e.g,. grammar)?

What type of leadership or leadership behavior is seen by the owners as leading to the success of the business?
What type of management skills is seen by the owners as leading to the success of the business?

eunkum

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That would be good. Then, is the following right (grammar)?
There is a gap in the literature about what type of leadership or leadership behavior and management skills is seen by the owners as leading to the success of the business. The purpose of the study is to fill the gap by examining what type of leadership or leadership behavior and management skills is seen by the owners as leading to the success of the business.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about using what types...are?

Status
Not open for further replies.